Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
Chrome wheels were a big thing in the 60's. But there was a problem keeping the nuts tight. We used to grind the chrome off the area where the nuts and wheels made contact.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79powerwagon Avatar
79powerwagon Eric L
Hubertus, WI, USA   USA
Adam, THAT's the ticket! smiling smileythumbs up

7mg2 Avatar
7mg2 Andrew Hardie
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGC GT "Mr "C"
1972 MG Midget MkIII
In reply to # 2568404 by Adam Morris my transmission still sounds like a box of rocks but I put some 85w140 in it and that helped quiet it down a bit for the time being. that's the next thing on the never ending list of things to do.

Gear oil is a no no in the stock transmission. Regular multigrade or mono grade engine oil is recommended. 20/50 is a good choice.

Andy

NAMGBR# 20-7738
AMGCRA# 1678

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
In reply to # 2569748 by 7mg2
In reply to # 2568404 by Adam Morris my transmission still sounds like a box of rocks but I put some 85w140 in it and that helped quiet it down a bit for the time being. that's the next thing on the never ending list of things to do.

Gear oil is a no no in the stock transmission. Regular multigrade or mono grade engine oil is recommended. 20/50 is a good choice.

Yeah, I remember reading the reason for that, but I can't remember what it was.
However, "back in the day", when SCCA racing Spridgets were required to run the stock gearbox (as opposed to the Webster or whatever trick set-up they're using today), the guys found that using 90W gear lube made the transmission work (as in "shift"winking smiley when it got hot. When my '72 Midget's gearbox finally became pretty noisy (about 20 years ago), I considered going with 90W, but decided against it because the box was still shifting so sweetly that I didn't want to change anything. It's STILL shifting beautifully, but it's got enough mileage on it that I think it's time to pull it out for an overhaul and plug another one in, to minimize down time.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Turn the tires around to black walls keep the stock. Did they even offer white wall in the day?

Adam Morris Avatar
In reply to # 2569748 by 7mg2

its a worn out gear box. the 85w140 makes the grinding and howling tolerable. it shifts but makes a loud clunk every time. 4th gear is very bad, definitely missing some teeth, it makes a tapping sound at low speed. if I step on the gas in 4th gear around 30mph it sounds like its filled with rocks. chunks came out when I drained the fluid. im working on getting another trans so I can do a swap one of these weekends.

if anyone has a couple smoothie hub caps im interested. Ben you have a pm.

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
In reply to # 2569872 by 66jalopy Turn the tires around to black walls keep the stock. Did they even offer white wall in the day?

Absolutely. White-walls were all the rage, back then. By the early to mid-60s, the thin whites were very popular and would have been available as an option on Midgets.

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Looks great with the caps.

I really like Nial's wheels... black center, silver rims, caps.

Our SCCA race Spridget had a set of "slot" mags with the kidney bean holes, 13 x 5.5, like you often saw on Pintos, 510's, etc. Inexpensive, but lightweight wheels.

They looked poo until I polished the rims and painted the centers black, then they looked great ! Almost wish I still had them.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Lil MK 4 Avatar
Lil MK 4 Dennis Mattson
Henderson, NV, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "65 Monza Vert - In Restoration"
1966 Chevrolet Corvair "Monza Coupe - Rare Factory AC"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "The Go-Kart"
2001 Ford Mustang "BULLITT #4068"    & more
In reply to # 2568042 by Adam Morris im curious what other people think about my wheels. the first pick is of the 13x5.5 chrome steel wheels that came on the car and the second is the stock wheels which also came with car. I painted the stock wheels and swapped the tires. I had a hell of time cleaning the white walls. i only have 2 hub caps so i used the center caps from the chrome wheels. I prefer the stock wheels. what do you think?

I vote STOCK WHEELS with Hubcaps over THOSE particular Chrome wheels...... I wanna get 4 spoke anthracite wheels with a polished / machined rim... for my white '68 Sprite

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Stock

Dan Lockwood Avatar
O'Fallon, MO, USA   USA
So Adam, what's the little car look like today? What wheels did you finally settle on?

Dan Lockwood
O'Fallon MO

Dan's Photo Albums

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
If the chrome wheels don't fit, they probably are 4 on 100mm bolt pattern, not 4 on 4" bolt pattern. Not good.

sbarner Stephen Barner
Bolton, VT, USA   USA
I'd vote for the stock wheels. Something about the chrome ones just looks like too much contrast against the plainness of the rest of the car. It might look a bit different if the top were up, as in the other photo. Here's a crude stab at combining the two photos.

Stephen Barner
Bolton, Vermont

Attachments:
ChromeWheels.jpg    60.4 KB
ChromeWheels.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster