AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
In reply to # 2568444 by Adam Morris
In reply to # 2568413 by purpleGT The stock, early Midget wheels tend to look pretty good, with or without hubcaps (later, Mk II and earlier Mk III wheels, which did away with the round ventilation holes, don't look nearly as nice.
To be honest, if your car were mine, I'd get rid of the chrome nuts and the center caps. They just look too "busy" on there and I think it disrupts the overall look.
Also, I paint them a lighter, more original-looking silver.

im not sold on the center caps yet. if I take them out i'll swap out the chrome lug nuts as well. maybe i'll try to find 2 more stock smoothie hub caps and try them out. I went with the graphite paint color just because I prefer it over the stock light silver color. and I wanted to be differentspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. lookin good Nial

Nothing wrong with your reasoning, at all. It's YOUR car, after all. It should please YOU first.
But, you did ask us for our opinions. winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
In reply to # 2568050 by Adam Morris i should probably add the chrome wheels don't fit properly. the wheel studs are not centered in the holes when mounted. they stay tight but there is a slight vibration around 55-75mph

This means the chrome ones do not fit. Do not use wheels that do not fit. The pattern of the chrome wheels is probably 4x100mm, not 4x4 inches (4x101.6mm) as it should be. This creates a stressful and dangerous condition that can cause the wheels studs to fail. You do not have a choice of two sets of wheels, you have a choice of one set of safe wheels and one set of wheels that could lead to a serious accident in a car with no safety equipment.

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Adam Morris Avatar
In reply to # 2568683 by 58custom
In reply to # 2568050 by Adam Morris i should probably add the chrome wheels don't fit properly. the wheel studs are not centered in the holes when mounted. they stay tight but there is a slight vibration around 55-75mph

This means the chrome ones do not fit. Do not use wheels that do not fit. The pattern of the chrome wheels is probably 4x100mm, not 4x4 inches (4x101.6mm) as it should be. This creates a stressful and dangerous condition that can cause the wheels studs to fail. You do not have a choice of two sets of wheels, you have a choice of one set of safe wheels and one set of wheels that could lead to a serious accident in a car with no safety equipment.

YEAH, I KNOW. THATS WHY I SWAPPED THEM OUT. BOLD WITH CAPS REALLY GETS THE POINT ACROSStongue sticking out smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
Yeah, get two more hubcaps for the stock wheels -- it'll look fine!

rbastedo Avatar
rbastedo Rick Bastedo
Snoqualmie, WA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
I really like the moonie hubcaps, if you can get a set that are nice and shiny.

randykieling Avatar
randykieling Randy Kieling
Grants Pass, OR, USA   USA
1957 Renault Next "Pierre"
1959 Morris Minor 1000 "Branson"
1960 MG MGA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite    & more
In reply to # 2568444 by Adam Morris
im not sold on the center caps yet. if I take them out i'll swap out the chrome lug nuts as well. maybe i'll try to find 2 more stock smoothie hub caps and try them out. I went with the graphite paint color just because I prefer it over the stock light silver color. and I wanted to be differentspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. lookin good Nial

Adam,
could you put on the smoothies and post a pic?
i have been staring at your car for an hour trying to figure this wheel conundrum out.
Randy

Tim H Avatar
Tim H Tim Hendy
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
stock! and I think the darker silver really suits them. good choice.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 2568813 by rbastedo I really like the moonie hubcaps, if you can get a set that are nice and shiny.

X2.

I will be going that route on my car. I always wondered, since the wheels are stamped out, if you could make a properly shaped pin, and jig, to press the holes, at 4" as opposed to 101.6mm, the holes would then match for the most part, with only very little being off center (1/16th off from center to center between 4 x 4" and 4x101.6mm), or, doing it on a milling machine, (end mills work best for this as they do not follow the existing hole), you would have a slot with the 4" diameter being off center by 1/16th or .0625" inch. Done on a miller, would this resultant slot be so bad? It's amazing how 1/16th of an invh prevents the use of so many rims, of course, offsets too. Just wondering. I do like those stock unchromed rims. With Baby Moons, they would look so nice. smiling smiley

Adam Morris Avatar
I removed the center caps, the rear ones rattled. I think the stock hub caps look really good. im gonna have to find 2 more.

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
Adam,
Those hubcaps are a huge improvement. Even the wheel color looks better to me with those hubcaps fitted.
I think I have a full set of them in my parts stash, but I'm pretty sure they have the A-H on them. If not, they're going on my Mk I project, when it gets done. winking smiley

PS. You might try Scott Harper, of Team Triumph (in Warren, OH.), for some duplicate hubcaps. Chances are he'll have some and for a fair price, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 03:34 PM by purpleGT.

Adam Morris Avatar
Thanks Bud. I should have done this a year ago. I have some chrome steel wheels for sale that came off of a midget but don't fit a midget if anyone is interestedspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 03:53 PM by Adam Morris.

randykieling Avatar
randykieling Randy Kieling
Grants Pass, OR, USA   USA
1957 Renault Next "Pierre"
1959 Morris Minor 1000 "Branson"
1960 MG MGA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite    & more
Hub caps look the best on your car.
Randy

aeronca65t Nial McCabe
an, NJ, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Spiffy"
Like the hubcaps! (naturally) winking smiley

Looks good!

npmccabe.org

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, ME, USA   USA
Adam: I've got a bunch of old used Sprite/Midget hubcaps in cold storage, and I now have wire wheels so won't be needing them. I don't know how many have AH and how many don't, or what shape they're in. If you want me to, tonight I could traipse down to the lower barn through the unplowed snow and (if the door isn't frozen shut -- we had rain the day before yesterday and now it's 0 degrees, lots of ice) I could dig them out, have a look, and take some pictures. If I have a couple plain ones they wouldn't be expensive. Let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 04:32 PM by Midgies Dad.

rbastedo Avatar
rbastedo Rick Bastedo
Snoqualmie, WA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Exactly what I said!! Those are AWESOME!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster