Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Adam Morris Avatar
Poll
which look better?
Voting is currently disabled for this poll.
50 votes were received.
chrome wheels 8

16%
stock wheels 42

84%

im curious what other people think about my wheels. the first pick is of the 13x5.5 chrome steel wheels that came on the car and the second is the stock wheels which also came with car. I painted the stock wheels and swapped the tires. I had a hell of time cleaning the white walls. i only have 2 hub caps so i used the center caps from the chrome wheels. I prefer the stock wheels. what do you think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bodge Garage Avatar
Bodge Garage Kris Schmidt
Spokane WA, USA   USA
Chrome is better. That way you can sell me your left over stockers. Haha.

Adam Morris Avatar
i should probably add the chrome wheels don't fit properly. the wheel studs are not centered in the holes when mounted. they stay tight but there is a slight vibration around 55-75mph

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79powerwagon Avatar
79powerwagon Eric L
Hubertus, WI, USA   USA
I personally don't like either, but of the two, the stockers!

If your car were mine, and I had no hindrances (like money, etc.), I'd go spokes!

But since our options in this example are the Sears chrome jobs or the stock jobs, go for the stock jobs!

btinsley Avatar
btinsley Bishop Tinsley
Atl, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Dino"
I believe to the spridget "civilian" the chrome ones would achieve mass appeal. But to a midget vet like me, there's real beauty in those stocks.

Bishop

kysleddogs Avatar
kysleddogs 1965 MG Midget
KY, USA   USA
stocks for sure especially if there is a fit and safety issue with the chromes

rbastedo Avatar
rbastedo Rick Bastedo
Snoqualmie, WA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Absolutely for the stock wheels.

Checkmate Avatar
Checkmate Jim R
None, Left Coast, USA   USA
In reply to # 2568079 by 79powerwagon I personally don't like either, but of the two, the stockers!

If your car were mine, and I had no hindrances (like money, etc.), I'd go spokes!

But since our options in this example are the Sears chrome jobs or the stock jobs, go for the stock jobs!

But would you go for chrome wires, or painted wires? My Midget has chrome wires, and that's what forced me to buy it.

L8RSK8R Ciaran W
LA JOLLA, CA, USA   USA
On a stock car, I prefer the original wheels. I just picked up a modified car, with chrome 14's & they suit the car.

79powerwagon Avatar
79powerwagon Eric L
Hubertus, WI, USA   USA
Chrome, by it's very nature, is a better finish than paint ever will be, so I'd go with chrome spokes over the painted spokes, again, if it were an easy option. smiling smiley

Adam Morris Avatar
thanks for your opinions. the stock wheels make the car ride so much better on the freeway. no more vibration. my transmission still sounds like a box of rocks but I put some 85w140 in it and that helped quiet it down a bit for the time being. that's the next thing on the never ending list of things to do.

Lane A Avatar
Lane A Lane Anderson
Mount Pleasant, SC, USA   USA
For me it's definitely the stock wheels out of those two choices. I'd probably choose a set of VTOs or Minilites if the budget allowed.

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
The stock, early Midget wheels tend to look pretty good, with or without hubcaps (later, Mk II and earlier Mk III wheels, which did away with the round ventilation holes, don't look nearly as nice.
To be honest, if your car were mine, I'd get rid of the chrome nuts and the center caps. They just look too "busy" on there and I think it disrupts the overall look.
Also, I paint them a lighter, more original-looking silver.

aeronca65t Nial McCabe
an, NJ, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Spiffy"
Stock steel painted wheels with dog-dish hubcaps.

Here's mine. smiling smiley

npmccabe.org

Adam Morris Avatar
In reply to # 2568413 by purpleGT The stock, early Midget wheels tend to look pretty good, with or without hubcaps (later, Mk II and earlier Mk III wheels, which did away with the round ventilation holes, don't look nearly as nice.
To be honest, if your car were mine, I'd get rid of the chrome nuts and the center caps. They just look too "busy" on there and I think it disrupts the overall look.
Also, I paint them a lighter, more original-looking silver.

im not sold on the center caps yet. if I take them out i'll swap out the chrome lug nuts as well. maybe i'll try to find 2 more stock smoothie hub caps and try them out. I went with the graphite paint color just because I prefer it over the stock light silver color. and I wanted to be differentspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. lookin good Nial

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 09:36 AM by Adam Morris.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster