MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Some Friend"
1998 Lincoln Mark Lt "Mark VIII"
2002 Subaru Forester "Suba Too"
2006 Honda Civic "Civic"    & more
welcome to the madness Rob,

check out the library article: awakening a sleeping MG
https://www.mgexp.com/article/awakening-sleeping-mg.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
KilroyRock Rob M
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Thanks! Good advice and links!

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Welcome Rob. looks like you have a really nice car! Careful, it grows on you! The guys on here are the best! Don't be afraid to ask them anything. There's no dumb questions here.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3711459 by KilroyRock Hey guys, what I did today was inherit a 76 midget from my dear friend who passed early last winter. It hasn't ran in a decade, so first thing I did was try to find people whose car still runs! I'm already in love. To get this working for Charlie would mean a lot to me. Can't wait to share memories driving the beauty. Thanks for any help!

Rob

Looks to be in great shape! One of the cool mods some people do--if you're not into a strict restoration--is replace the bumpers with earlier model steel versions, or with nerf bars... or just lose the altogether. There's a thread you can search for called 'going bumperless' or something like that with photos of your model without bumpers... they look sexy!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
KilroyRock Rob M
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3711640 by Yankeedriver
Looks to be in great shape! One of the cool mods some people do--if you're not into a strict restoration--is replace the bumpers with earlier model steel versions, or with nerf bars... or just lose the altogether. There's a thread you can search for called 'going bumperless' or something like that with photos of your model without bumpers... they look sexy!

Joel

I like the steel bumper mod! i'll have to check the bumperless, but the chrome bumpers are my jam, plus i'm in baltimore city - i don't trust the parallel parkers.

I'm glad to hear that these can be okay after sitting a while. I'm about to put the battery on a charger after so many years - it might be pointless and should just get a new one - i guess we'll see. Also needed to buy an ignition, no one can find the keys, so i'll just stare at it with the shop vac until i can get it in.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge, I have SO much to learn!

KilroyRock Rob M
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
on second thought - bumperless looks HOT

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Rob, you can go to most auto parts stores and they'll put a checker on it to tell you if the battery is good or not and anything else that might be wrong with the Electric System. jim

nassau66 Larry Cross
Browns Mills, NJ, USA   USA
42 months ago, my car was driven into the garage. Today it came back to life. I must have done something wrong as I only had to fiddle with the distributor a bit and turn down the idle on the carbs a tad. Pleasantly surprised as to how healthy it sounds. Next up is cam break in.

I want to give a big Thank You! to all those here on the forum who have helped me along the way. I couldn't have gotten done it without you guys.

Attachments:
20141006_35.JPG    40.5 KB
20141006_35.JPG

P4060024.JPG    56.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3711678 by KilroyRock on second thought - bumperless looks HOT

Yeah, it does! Here's a shot of mine with bumper off to cut slot for lower half of intercooler, or oil cooler, which lots of people run. But that exercise in your case isn't needed, because you've got vents let into your late-model lower valance. I haven't decided whether to install chrome 'nerf' bars, or just have it naked. But it's a cool look.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-06 03:39 PM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:

Attachments:
Intercooler installation (9).jpg    37.7 KB
Intercooler installation (9).jpg

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3711870 by nassau66 42 months ago, my car was driven into the garage. Today it came back to life. I must have done something wrong as I only had to fiddle with the distributor a bit and turn down the idle on the carbs a tad. Pleasantly surprised as to how healthy it sounds. Next up is cam break in.

I want to give a big Thank You! to all those here on the forum who have helped me along the way. I couldn't have gotten done it without you guys.

Gorgeous! Amazing job!

Joel

Member Services:
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
Here is the Colonel,a 78 RB 1500. Chrystal rx350 sell the rear quarter fillers he posts in the BUY SELL SWAP FORUM.

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Attachments:
003.JPG    60.7 KB
003.JPG

005.JPG    53.5 KB
012.JPG    51.9 KB
014.JPG    58.8 KB
MiniCobra Avatar
MiniCobra Mike B
Weatherford, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG Midget Conversion "Mini Cobra"
1998 Dodge Dakota Pickup "Dak"
2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster "Rose-Z"
Took the Mini Cobra to the Triple F Automotive open house and car show to benefit Conner's Car Show(down syndrome).

Attachments:
20180408_160226.jpg    47.3 KB
20180408_160226.jpg

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
And doesn't Mini Cobra look good against the pale orange pick-up

MiniCobra Avatar
MiniCobra Mike B
Weatherford, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG Midget Conversion "Mini Cobra"
1998 Dodge Dakota Pickup "Dak"
2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster "Rose-Z"
In reply to # 3713709 by johnnyw637 And doesn't Mini Cobra look good against the pale orange pick-up

Perhaps you would prefer the Lincoln Lowrider on the other side...

Attachments:
20180408_160241.jpg    62.1 KB
20180408_160241.jpg

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3713747 by MiniCobra
In reply to # 3713709 by johnnyw637 And doesn't Mini Cobra look good against the pale orange pick-up

Perhaps you would prefer the Lincoln Lowrider on the other side...

No I think that the pick up background is perfect smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster