AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveZA Avatar
SteveZA Steve Welch
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
1955 MG Magnette ZA "Maggie"
Have been having trouble in obtaining anything more than Tickover as of late. So fitted a clear in-line fuel filter just ahead of the carbs. It was immediately obvious that the petrol had gone off, I mean really OFF. It resembled Port!! Siphoned the fuel from the filler aperture and replaced with fresh petrol. Still no joy. Then discovered the fuel pump was getting hot.
End result, tank out to reveal the internal filter looking as per photo. I was lucky that it cleaned up well with thinners and toothbrush ( old),
Off to buy some local cider vinegar tomorrow and insert into the tank to leave for a few days to try to de-rust the inside.
Flush with baking soda, tank back in and hopefully smooth engine running!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1442.JPG    33.5 KB
IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG    29 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
Geeeee.....That's bad .... One of my next jobs to do actually..

David8831 Avatar
David8831 David Halliday
Thame, Oxfordshire, UK   GBR
Wow Steve, that’s amazing. I pulled my tank out recently because of what seemed like a fuel flow issue. Mine wasn’t anything like that. In the end it turned out to be SU needles that were more like rods! How on earth or why on earth someone fitted them, I have no idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AdamFromOz Adam Paterson
Newcastle, NSW, Australia   AUS
That there is some impressive crud! How many times did you have to rinse your tank out for it to flow clear? Mine was so full of bull dust I must have rinsed it a dozen times or more. That stuff is as fine as talc.

SteveZA Avatar
SteveZA Steve Welch
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
1955 MG Magnette ZA "Maggie"
Further woes!!
On taking the sender unit off from the rear of the now removed tank I discovered the crud had attached itself to the immersed section of the float, and the alloy unit itself was covered in several mm. of what is best described as grey lime scale. It is luckily very soft in nature and easily scrapes off.
Using a torch, I discovered that large sections of the tanks inner ( baffles/ strengtheners)? have rusted away completely .
The outer tank walls seem in good condition.
So after a good soak in cider vinegar, neutralising, using a tank sealant and re-fitting , I have to hope the weight transfer of fuel when cornering does not induce two wheeled antics!!!!

Attachments:
IMG_1448.JPG    19 KB
IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG    23.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AdamFromOz Adam Paterson
Newcastle, NSW, Australia   AUS
I had the same grey paste on my sender unit. Just scraped it off then gave the whole thing a good clean up. Impressive barnacles on the float! Goes to show how good some fuel is!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster