Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

magnette1 Avatar
magnette1 Gold Member Andrew Murdoch
Busselton, W.A., Australia   AUS
I have always like the green lights behind my instrument panel.
Can the same bulbs still be procured anywhere or do we have to find some LED or such ????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Andrew, the gauge bulbs shine through green plastic lens for that cool effect. The speedo is a whole different setup. That 10 watt bulb shined through a filter that only passed UV light so the speedo numbers fluoresced. Those filters get opaque and won't let any light through. A number of us have moved to UV leds to make the speedo numbers do their nifty thing again.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I've painted the inside of the gauges different colors through the years, which changes the back lit color also. Of course you have to have back lit gauges to start with.
GB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
That's a shame I bought normal LED bulbs then

Wray Avatar
., SC, USA   USA
Ian, they will still work on the gauges. If you take the speedo apart you can remove the glass filter and get light on the face of the speedo.

mcquaid Avatar
mcquaid jim jans
hood river OR, USA   USA
I used Sirius LED super bright 1W 360 degree projector "green" bulbs for instrument panel # T10 168 194 2825 from Amazon for $13.95 for pack of 6 bulbs.

Jim Jans
'58 ZB
Hood River, OR

Attachments:
P1020481.JPG    59 KB
P1020481.JPG

Luv Em Old Avatar
Luv Em Old Brian Radich
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
If you want an original look for the speedo you can't go past UV LEDs shining through the black glass filter.

Attachments:
Final Result.JPG    12.4 KB
Final Result.JPG

David8831 Avatar
David8831 David Halliday
Thame, Oxfordshire, UK   GBR
Wow, instruments that you can actually see in the dark! They look fabulous, I will have to look into get some of those UV LEDs as well. Will I have to then wear sunscreen when I drive my car at night?! cool smiley

Wray Avatar
., SC, USA   USA
My speedo.

Attachments:
Speedo UV.jpg    28.2 KB
Speedo UV.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links