MGExp

MG Magnette Forum

What did you do with your Magnette today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Barry, those are really nice, well done indeed. We used some red dye to bring one of the rope pulls back to life.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AdamFromOz Adam Paterson
Newcastle, NSW, Australia   AUS
They look great! I need to do the same job myself. Did you weave the handles yourself?

sutton1965 Barry Johnson
Farnborough, UK   GBR
Thanks Wray. I was thinking of trying to dye the handles but the commonest dye I've found in the UK (dylon) uses salt as a fixative and I wasn't sure what effect that might have on the chromed/pitted alloy screw-down ends - what did you use?

Barry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sutton1965 Barry Johnson
Farnborough, UK   GBR
Hi Adam. Nah - the rope handles were courtesy of Fleabay - i've seen a few for sale over the last year or so.

Barry

Quinsjim Avatar
Quinsjim Jim Hamilton
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
Hi Barry,

I can confirm that Dylon is a bad choice! - Did mine a few years back and the metal rings on the handles salted up and snapped clean off. Had to get some replacements from NTG at crazy prices - one of which has detached after only a couple of years of incredibly light use :-(

Jim

sutton1965 Barry Johnson
Farnborough, UK   GBR
Hi Jim, thanks for the tip. Perhaps I'll just stick with "faded"!

Barry

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Barry, my wife did them, she just used some fabric dye that she found locally.

SteveZA Avatar
SteveZA Steve Welch
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
1955 MG Magnette ZA "Maggie"
Adam,
If it helps, I have just made the metal ring attachments ( cut a thin length of steel pipe, brazed it to a piece of steel, shaped it, £30 of chrome plating for both ) and found a rope manufacturer who sold a length to do both doors ( £2 ) and bound together to the correct length. So much cheaper the eBay

Attachments:
IMG_1454.JPG    37.9 KB
IMG_1454.JPG

AdamFromOz Adam Paterson
Newcastle, NSW, Australia   AUS
Thanks Steve.

I will look into the rope. I have one intact and the other hardware for the other with no rope. So I am very fortunate.

Quinsjim Avatar
Quinsjim Jim Hamilton
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
In the spirit of undoing 4 or 5 years of 'not very much done' on my girl, today I started to sort out the door bottoms - already had a few goes with previous owners by the look of it, and I can't afford to have them done with steel (my welding is far too agricultural for door panels)

So, first one in primer - spot putty in the morning and then we can see if I can match up the paint! Loving getting back to working on my baby. New target is Spa in September.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links