AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

downunderdude George M
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
1955 MG TF 1500
1962 MG MGA
When I got my MGA it came with a new Bosch distributor in a box, there are no numbers on the distributor, from what I can gather these distributors were a direct replacement for the MGA / MGB and sold by MG parts in Qld Australia, the distributor takes GB700 bosch contact, GB 820 cap and a GB787 rotor which all point to it being the same type of distributor that fits a Datsun 200B, I am wondering if any MGA/MGB owners have come across this distributor in their cars, maybe limited to Australia. I would like to know more about it if anyone can help.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dandare Avatar
Dandare Danny H
Sydney, Australia   AUS
George, may be an idea to post this in the B forum as you say it may be relevant to them.

Danny

paddyreardon Avatar
paddyreardon Paddy Reardon
Calne, Wiltshire., UK   GBR
1933 Morris Minor "Evie"
1956 MG Magnette ZA
I use the same distributor on my 1932 Morris Minor as a replacement for an early Lucas DM4. I use it because it runs the opposite direction to the usual later distributors.

It's able to be adapted for the Lucas fittings by shaving a little bit off the shank, to allow it to seat deeper in the engine. The drive dog needs to be swapped as well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Volvos like the P1800 use an interchangeable distributor that'll drop into a B motor. But its not a better distirbutor - just different. I'd prefer a 25D.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

downunderdude George M
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
1955 MG TF 1500
1962 MG MGA
Has anyone heard of a 25D knock off from China called a Sherryberg @ $45.00

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
This company seems to make lots of parts (carbs, distributors, etc.) for all kinds of cars, cycles, etc.; lots of them on AliExpress & Amazon. I've seen them but have avoided them. Just don't like the rep of many of these types of items made in China. But then repro parts made in other parts of the world are not universally well made either!

Here's a sampling from AliExpress:

https://bit.ly/2kOeUtU

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
In reply to # 3750519 by downunderdude Has anyone heard of a 25D knock off from China called a Sherryberg @ $45.00

A lot of people add a name to off-the-shelf available Chinese parts. Accuspark for example. Likely the same manufacturer, with dubious quality worthy of a test before attempting to rely on it. For that price you have to ask yourself about the design, metallurgy, and the amount of tuning done to allow it to make your car run properly. My experience with most aftermarket distributors is that the casting is great, bushings and springs are the weak link, and the shaft is soft mild steel (recycled materials with no case hardening.) The stamped parts are made with "soft tooling," so the shape/fit is mediocre. Ask your local distributor repair shop how they compare to the originals.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
early 50s alfas used lucas same as our cars then in the late 50s early 60s the switched to borscht...smoking smiley

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
Bosch also made a replacement distributor for the Triumph TR7/Saab engine. Came with standard Bosch points/condenser and coil set-up and easily accepts the Pertronix unit meant for the Porsche/VW. A really nice little improvement over the original Lucas parts in the TR7. Back in the day you could probably find a Bosch ignition for any number of imports.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3751628 by wyatt early 50s alfas used lucas same as our cars then in the late 50s early 60s the switched to borscht...smoking smiley

Also Magneti Marelli. But I hear the borscht units are hard to beet....

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
My mom used to make magneti marelli on sundays with marinara sauce.

In reply to # 3756438 by bills
In reply to # 3751628 by wyatt early 50s alfas used lucas same as our cars then in the late 50s early 60s the switched to borscht...smoking smiley

Also Magneti Marelli. But I hear the borscht units are hard to beet....

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster