AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Seems to me that most all convertible tops when down in the MGA have a tendency to slide forward, at least that's been my experience and judging by the dents and mars in the rear of the seats for others, I'd say I'm not the only one with this issue. Before I put my newly upholstered seats back in the car and my new top ( Lord knows when that'll be, so much more to do smiling smiley ) I'd like to know if has anyone fashioned a strap of some sort to loop around the frame of the top and secured it ? I'm thinking of a leather strap on each side ( kind'a like a belt ) and attach it to the rear panel that separates the cockpit from the trunk.....glad to hear ideas on this subject.....

Cheers,

Geoff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
It's not necessary if you have the windscreen holder attached (which covers the top and frame. I also leave the rear lift-the-dots of the tonneau cover attached to the studs and just fold the tonneau in behind the seats as added protection. It works well and is easy and quick to put up!

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
The top will not slide forward if you have the spare tire in place. The spare creates a shelf for the top to rest on.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I've done exactly this. Check Ace hardware for camping gear straps and "D" rings.

The top is cinched up and out of the way, the top irons are pulled back just enough to save the seats. This also makes the package shelf somewhat usable.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Attachments:
Top stowage straps 1.jpg    46.2 KB
Top stowage straps 1.jpg

Top stowage straps 2.jpg    49.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
That's a fabulous idea !! I was going to put some sort of a ring in the rear wall between the cockpit and trunk, but where you installed it above makes even more sense !!!! Thanks again Kemosabe !!

Cheers,

Geoff

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...if you pull if from the center back it has a tendency to let the frame sides jut out and hit the seat sides, big no no

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Mitch's idea looks very good except that the straps are going across the plastic side windows. Those straps over time will scratch the plastic windows making the window hard to see out of. The YJ jeep rear windows rolled up and was held up by two straps with snaps. Over a period of 6 months you had two wide cloudy stripe down the rear window.

John

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3739555 by 59mgaguy Mitch's idea looks very good except that the straps are going across the plastic side windows. Those straps over time will scratch the plastic windows making the window hard to see out of. The YJ jeep rear windows rolled up and was held up by two straps with snaps. Over a period of 6 months you had two wide cloudy stripe down the rear window.

John

Fair enough, picture taken at first fitting. It's been up and down a few times (damned weather), I put cloth over both sides of the windows.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster