AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Engine noise
  This topic is about my 1962 MG MGA MkII
jmearly3 Michael MK
Richmond, TX, USA   USA
Getting an engine noise tht is difficult to describe. Not a chirp and not exactly a squeak. speeds up and slows with rpm's. Bought a stethascope and could not isolate the noise. In fact, could not hear it at all-through the scope on the block, valve cover, trans, generator, or any moving part. The fan and water pump seem tight and there are no water leaks. Does not run hot. Doesn't appear to be the trans. Does it when parked as well. Any ideas? Any crystal balls? Forgot to listen to the starter motor. That this afternoon .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
You can run the engine without the fan belt for a few minutes to eliminate the water pump and generator.

Could the noise be from the throw out bearing? Does it change when you push the pedal down?

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
Diagnosis by sound is often an exercise in futility. But be sure to check the motor mounts and the interface from the manifold to the downpipe. If it co-varies with rpm but doesn't sound like reciprocating noise, those are the first two things I'd try. Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 01:17 AM by Basil Adams.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
2x with Eric. This is the most common area for weird noises.

jmearly3 Michael MK
Richmond, TX, USA   USA
no change. Beginning to think it's not the engine but is something loose.

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
I once installed an MGB timing cover on an MGA engine with out changing the oil thrower ring. Result was the cup shape MGA oil thrower ring wore a hole through the front face of the MGB timing cover. I don't recall it ever made any noise I could hear, but the steel spinner rubbing on the front cover could likely make a chirping noise.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
I had the same oil thrower problem on my dpo rebuilt engine. It made a whining sound.

Gary

GNK025 Avatar
GNK025 Gold Member Terry Sheppard
Hampton, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Recently had a frieds car wich exhibited exactly the noise you describe. Found that lower nut holding front carby to manifold was missing, and top one finger tight. No other symptom, just something between a chirp and a squeak. Suggest you check all carb to manifold attachments and gaskets, and also manifold to head.

GNK025 Avatar
Sorry, should have mentioned, we found the source of the noise by using a piece of tube, listening at one end, while the other end was passed over every likely source of the noise. Fairly primitive version of a stethoscope, but very useful tool for finding sources of various noises.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737245 by barneymg I once installed an MGB timing cover on an MGA engine with out changing the oil thrower ring. Result was the cup shape MGA oil thrower ring wore a hole through the front face of the MGB timing cover. I don't recall it ever made any noise I could hear, but the steel spinner rubbing on the front cover could likely make a chirping noise.

Holy crap.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Maggie B Avatar
Maggie B Andrew H
San Francisco, CA, USA   USA
... my last experience similar to this turned out to be a slipping ring gear on the flywheel, which eventually chewed out the starter motor...

mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Terry, what was the cause of the noise?

GNK025 Avatar
G'day Gary,
I had a similar situation once before with a Torana 4 cyl. Got sent back to us when the dealer couldnt find the squeak noise and was about to buy the car back from the customer. Turned out to be loose manifold nuts. Seems that air passing through the very narrow leak path reaches sonic velocity, and sounds just like a mechanical squeak pulsing at a rate consistent with firing frequency. Leak path is small enough that it doesnt really affect engine running. Noise is just like blowing through a gum leaf. Shame our US friends will never have heard someone playing music on a gum leaf, but guess the principle is the same. Very small aperture, and gas passing through it creates high frequency squeak.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster