MGExp

MGA Forum

At what speed does it become "too much?" (A confessional)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
FWIW I have run cars on the track with bolt on steel, 72 spoke wires, aluminum alloy, magnesium alloy and widened Twin Cam steel. I went back to the Twin Cam wheels when I decided to retire from regular racing and run only vintage events, and was surprised to find that the Twin Cam Dunlops seemed to be considerably better than the bolt on steel in terms of waver and vibration. You still hear of the getting bent, but no one seems to complain of vibration in racing - and I think all of the vintage racers run Dunlops as few would be as crazy as I was to weld up the holes in the Twin Cam hubs and convert to bolt on attachment so I could run alloys.

BTW, I ripped the whole centre out of a TR-6 wheel leaving the centre of the wheel with all the properly tightened nuts intact while my wheel headed off at speed into the great beyond after ruining a rear fender. Fortunately it headed for a field rather than a grandstand area.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster