MGExp

MGA Forum

At what speed does it become "too much?" (A confessional)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
A supercharger is worth every penny. Not for the added top speed that you'll never use, but for the gobs of low to mid range torque, increased passing power, effortless hill climbing ability and less effort to move with the flow of highway traffic. I have two superchargers (MGB) and am working on a third (TC). Since my MGA has an early 1800 block, I didn't feel it really "needed" it and the MGA engine bay is way too cramped as it is.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I've enjoyed my pretty stock Mk 2 coupe a lot, and found that it will stay with many faster cars on a winding highway despite the power difference.

Top speed on tracks is limited by how long the straight is as well as aerodynamics. My race car tops at about 130 mph on tracks with good straights, but I'd never really want to drive a street car that fast - the traffic on the highways just don't allow it to be done safely today.

I can attest to the ability of my tuned tricarb MGC to also do 130 mph, my Jensen CV8 to do 145 mph+, but I never tried to top out my Lamborghini or more modern sports cars (note for Grube Guy - the BMW Z4M will hit around 165 mph - the secret is that the limiter built in by BMW only operates in top - 6th - gear and as the engine runs to 7,900, you can blow right past 155 mph in 5th).

Top speed is far less interesting than how long it takes to accelerate and how well they handle and stop, IMHO.

And as to whether any given power level is adequate, it depends on the driver. I have 200 bhp in my Jamaican with a modded 3.4 GM engine and it certainly doesn't seem over the top. The guys that have 450 bhp in their MGBs probably think they don't have too much. Sure, it will bite you in the ass pretty quick if you are an idiot (and face it, a percentage of people stuffing big powerful engines into little British cars qualify as idiots) but most engine swappers are pretty sensible and just enjoy the cars they build.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Richas Avatar
Richas Rich S
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Five Boy Scouts, myself included, had one of these over 100 MPH. God protects children and drunks.....

Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
cvcc.jpg    39.2 KB
cvcc.jpg

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Please tell me you were just quoting an aphorism and that you didn't transport 5 boy scouts over 100 mph while drunk! eye popping smiley

Richas Avatar
Richas Rich S
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737477 by Redhawk1689 Please tell me you were just quoting an aphorism and that you didn't transport 5 boy scouts over 100 mph while drunk! eye popping smiley

Ha! Yes, all five were sober Boy Scouts. Stupid, but sober.

Rich

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
In the ‘70’s it was not a problem to do 75-85 in my B. In fact I found that the Ansa exhaust in my B was quieter at 80 than at 60. The reason I liked British sports cars over American muscle cars was I liked to go faster around a corner than in a straight line. Today I still prefer corners to straight aways.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
In reply to # 3737491 by dohc281 Today I still prefer corners to straight aways.

Me too.

Afraid I just don't get what the thrill is to go and run a 1/4 mile - does nothing for me. Go out and manage a trio of laps around a 2-3 mile circuit and have them all within a half second of each other and you have accomplished something, but you need to maintain absolute concentration and coordination for a minute and a half at a time, not just 12 seconds or so.....

North Vancouver BC

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
The stock MGA starts to get a bit twitchy at 110 mph.

Make sure the top is up.

Can't imagine those speeds with the original polyester tires "back in the day"

Attachments:
116.jpg    27.5 KB
116.jpg

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
In reply to # 3737559 by Tbird The stock MGA starts to get a bit twitchy at 110 mph.

A stock MGA tops out below that speed anyway. Usually around 105 mph. The only one that will exceed that is the Twin Cam.

North Vancouver BC

MGABOB Avatar
MGABOB Robert Jensen
Stillwater, MN, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
Hi everybody
The fastest I've ever been was 140 mph in a MGA. It was one that my older brother put in a blue printed 327. It was scary fast. The car shuck so much that it scared me to death. I was 14 at the time.
I've had mine up to 100 and had no problem. Mine has a B 5 main and rearend also a 5 speed so it made it easy. I cruise at 75 all the time. The only time the car is uncomfortable is at 55 when I have a shake. It only appears at that speed.
We all know how tight the steering is on MGs so when I let somebody drive mine I always tell them that on the highway, if they want to change lanes all they have to do is think about it and subconscious you will put enough pressure to make it happen.
Thanks for listening.
Bob J.

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
I'm hoping that MGA isn't really going 115 MPH with one hand working a camera... eye popping smiley

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
I had my RX7 powered MGA up to 125. It could have gone faster but I felt uncomfortable. Felt real light and started to feel nervous.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
See post #35 in this thread for my comments on high speed in MGAs.

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3731331,3737852#msg-3737852

North Vancouver BC

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
That explains much! I have 60-spoke wires and have a really smooth drive even at highway speeds but I can see why these cars seem more fragile than they really are! Tooling down the middle lane of I-70 at 70 mph and having two "moosy honking" semis on either side of you pass you doesn't inspire a lot of confidence though!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster