Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Having to do with my TC, but thought you'd be interested.

Had some fun today. I had one of those dustless blasters come and clean up my '48 MGTC chassis. Frame, F/R axles, leaf springs, backing plates, misc., for $700.00. Well worth it - I'm getting too old to grind and brush for 2 weeks or more.

I removed the caked-on volunteer rust proofing before he got here.

I bought a chassis missing it's body, I've got a body in process in England so no sheet metal got the treatment.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 07:00 PM by Mitchman2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Blasting 1.jpg    77.7 KB
Blasting 1.jpg

Blaster 2.jpg    92.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Is it basically water & sand (or other grit) or soda blasting? The end result looks good. I assume it needs to be primed ASAP.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3714581 by ghnl Is it basically water & sand (or other grit) or soda blasting? The end result looks good. I assume it needs to be primed ASAP.

There's a rust inhibitor in the water. In dry weather you can wait 2-3 weeks for steel. Cast iron radiators (low quality crap)... he said they flash in a day no matter what.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Pretty cool.

A-safe182 Gordon M
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
I would like your dustless guy in my neighborhood the guy here quoted me 1,600 for a body on a rotisserie no fenders just the body.

Hemidavey Dave Rudziensky
Grosse Isle, MI, USA   USA
Looks great, I'm Called a local one to blast our projects, no return call so far. I'll try the main company in the morning. I've heard good things.

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
In reply to # 3716537 by A-safe182 I would like your dustless guy in my neighborhood the guy here quoted me 1,600 for a body on a rotisserie no fenders just the body.

Gordon
Had my C body shell and all parts (fenders, valence. bonnet, splash panels, boot lid, etc.) done early last year for $1400, he came up from GA and was done and gone by late afternoon.
Don't believe people when they say dustless blasting will not warp panels, yes water cools and is somewhat dustless but there is still a lot of pressure used. A different dustless blaster trashed my MGA boot lid, bonnet, and both doors
about 5 or 6 years ago. Like a lot of things its the operator who can make the job a positive experience or not.
Ron

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Added benefit is they come to you. No hauling all that stuff 20 miles away and having to go back in a week or two and pick it up. NICE smileys with beer

Member Services:
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Dan Walker from Vermilion, Ohio (a fellow MGAer and on MGE) had dustless blaster come out to his house from the east side of Cleveland. Which is about 45 miles away. The blaster spent about 6 hours doing his MGA minus the doors, hood, and rear deck lid. The cost was $500. The price would have been lower if Dan would have taken his body to the Blaster's shop.

John

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Mitchell
Looks good.
I have had quotes for blasting that were cheaper if you deliver but the logistics were too hard. The most expensive quote I got was dipping the body and parts ($2500). Soda blasting cost comparable to dustless blasting.
One other note if you use soda blasting and the guy comes to you, dont do it in the yard, It kills any plant life for months (ph thing).
Don't ask my wife about soda blasters.hot smiley
Ron

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Ron

If I'm not mistaken there two fasteners under the cowl at each side that is aluminum. If dipped the aluminum dissolves and the bracket drops off.

John

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
nice did you box the frame or did come like that?

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3717986 by 59mgaguy Ron

If I'm not mistaken there two fasteners under the cowl at each side that is aluminum. If dipped the aluminum dissolves and the bracket drops off.

John

Those are pop rivets holding the windshield handle supports. Both of my A's were missing theirs.

There are also 2 pop rivets on either side at the front of the rocker panels. Just as well to let those dissolve, Original or not, they are not to be found on a car that I restore.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Soon your frame will look like this.

I had a 100-4 body dipped years ago and found out the door hinges were aluminum and also unobtainum... It can back with nice shinny screws where the hinges used to be....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 03:40 PM by Gary E.

Attachments:
IMG_0944.JPG    31 KB
IMG_0944.JPG

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
"Oops!" (Nice frame though! )

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster