MGExp

MGA Forum

Do aftermarket (MG Mitten/Haas/etc.) MGB wooden shift knobs fit MGAs?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
This knob is NOS, has unmolested threads, not a plastic insert, and I was told that it was for an MGB. I don't have an MGB or MGA shifter shaft to check the threads and was wondering if anyone might have some knowledge of the cross-over fitment. Thanks, Rob—

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pcklentz Avatar
pcklentz Paul L
Tustin, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Bob's B"
IIRC....no

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
For MGA, the shift lever and knob threads are 5/16-24-UNF. Try a fine threaded 5/16" bolt to see if it fits in the knob. Same knob for MGA and early MGB. May use a different jam nut, but same threads.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bikermga Avatar
bikermga Peter Tilbury
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Some aftermarket MGB knobs have a rubber insert. These sometimes do not thread on to the shaft cleanly or fully. I have had to drill these out in the past and turn a brass insert on a lathe with the correct thread to match the shaft.

The locking nut is important as this takes some of the stress off the knob when it is being used.

Peter.

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
Thanks, I'll drag the two knobs off to the hardware store this week and check the threads for a 5/16-24 fine thread bolt, pick up a couple of nice thin jam nuts while I'm there if the bolt fits the knobs. Rob—

lfbaron Avatar
lfbaron Luis Baron
Pinecrest, FL, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
For some reason, the thread on the shifter shaft in my car is not the 5/16-24 UNF that it is supposed to be, I've taken the lock nut to a fastener shop and they could not figure what kind of thread that was. The car came with the standard black knob with brass insert and works very well. I do like the look of the wooden knobs with the MG logo better, but the ones I have gotten from Moss have the plastic insert and there is no way to tighten them properly. The other issue is that the wooden knobs are thicker and I hit the knob while steering in reverse. I drilled the knob a bit deeper, and forced it as much as I could (no lock nut) and it seems to be holding, although it has only been a few days. It also places the knob lower and I no longer hit with my hand while in reverse. Time will tell.

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
How do you hit your hand when in reverse? Hit the dash? Strange shift pattern? 5-speed, maybe?

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

lfbaron Avatar
lfbaron Luis Baron
Pinecrest, FL, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
The distance between the steering wheel and the thicker knob, when shifted in reverse, is barely enough to let the hand through, so I hit the knob. It is a standard 4-speed gearbox.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster