Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mymiddlenameisoverkill Avatar
Houston, TX, USA   USA
Hello all!

I am a newly minted MGA owner and this is my first post here. I'm really excited to be a part of the MG owner family!

I need some help deciphering the number stamped on the engine block. Ultimately, I'd like to decide if the engine it would be better to rebuild or replace.

Any help is much appreciated!

BHM1111ES 64632
A D

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0450.JPG    32 KB
IMG_0450.JPG

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
The MG B-series engine was used in many other vehicles. Another clues as to its identity? Casting numbers on the block? Casting dates on the block? Does it have a tach drive?

The ID plate can fairly easily be removed/replaced (the two drive rivets are like screws with very coarse threads) so it is not a 100% sure way to identify the engine.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Houston, TX, USA   USA
Eric,

The only other designation that I could easily see on the engine was a PAT NO 565394. I've attached a photo of it for reference. I'll have to take a look once it's on the lift to see if I can see any other designations.

-Drew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
LS_347838_1862274.JPG    46.4 KB
LS_347838_1862274.JPG

Houston, TX, USA   USA
I initially thought it might be a gold seal engine, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. My understanding is that there were a lot of these types of engines that were used in tractors and forklifts and other light industrial equipment, which would be a little strange, but if that's the case I may look to replace.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
SW, CT, USA   USA
B & C series engine codes typically have a prefix consisting of a number, then letter-letter-letter and then the engine serial number; this one is unusual. The closest I came to this type of number is some sort of industrial use, but even this does not make sense. Is there a number on the back of the head nearest to the heater? Is there a number on the engine block, left side down near the engine mount?

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
According to Barney:

"On a late note, BHM 1109 turns out to be a Marina 1.8-GT-Special MK 2 exchange engine (Austin Marina in the USA)."

I pulled that quote out of here in the part midway about replacement engines:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be100.htm

See also last post this thread:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2892912

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 07:11 PM by Blueosprey90.

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Is that Pat No on the cylinder head? Again, cylinder heads are often interchanged - any B-series head can fit on any B-series block (but not all will 'work' properly depending on valve sizes, combustion chamber volume, etc).

Look for digits cast into the sides of the block. Behind the engine mount on the left side would be numbers about 1" tall - 1500, 1600, 1622 or 1800 for example. In the right side towards the rear are casting numbers like 12H### and somewhat in the lower middle is usually a date code - usually MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY arranged in a circle. see: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/blockdate.htm

Some engine numbers are listed here: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be100.htm (but I don't see any that look like yours).

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Welcome aboard Drew...!

Dave
"WTF?"

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg Leitza
Springbrook, WI, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
And the madness starts!
Welcome! MG

Greg

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget

Houston, TX, USA   USA
Thanks for everyone's responses! I'll take a look for those designations on the actual block to see what I can find. Stay tuned!

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Maybe something in this that may help.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Attachments:
Engine codes.pdf    19.6 KB

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
you all are missing the obvious A.D. reference

this is a lost religious artifact to be coveted like the the holy grail or the arc of the covenant....

start bowing to it every day and you will be fine

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Just to add a bit more to the fray, my engine is a BMC Gold Seal Replacement engine from 1963. My car is a 1958 roadster in which the original 1489cc unit "blew up" and was replaced under factory warranty. The unit used parts then available from the factory, a 1622 block (from the Magnette line), an 1800 head (from the MGB line) and a 1500 style low starter rear end to mate to the original transmission. The engine number doesn't match anything in BMC's inventory because the Gold Seal engines used inventory parts numbers from off the shelf! For example, the number plate on my engine reads: 486214 RS28844

MuskokaMKII Avatar
MuskokaMKII Lance Boyce
Bala, ON, Canada   CAN
I had always thought my engine was the original but now I have doubts.
It's clearly cast as 1622, has an 18 head and the block is painted a grey / green.
Also, the casting is stamped as in the attached.
A little history. This MKII was delivered in August 1961, Later fitted with a Shorrock blower and later restored to dual SU carbs. Originally thought the head swap was for the supercharger mod.
The car has been in the family from the beginning and I don't recall an engine swap, but then it's only been my car since 67.
Any ideas about this number?

Attachments:
20180401_170104.jpg    59.7 KB
20180401_170104.jpg

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
I'd be interested to know if it has flat-headed, high-compression pistons.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster