Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
A neighbor called for help getting into his trunk. I pulled the release, he lifted the luggage rack, and all was good. Not. It used to be that he could pull the rod, wlk to the rear and lift the lid all by himself. Something has changed. I would expect a spring somewhere to push up the lid and hold it so people could get around and lift the lid. Not now. I don't see a spring anywhere for holding the lid up but surely there must be something somewhere. Any help?? Thanks.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
There is no mechanical spring. The boot lid rests on a rubber seal which will act like a spring to raise the lid. If you have the wrong type of seal or its dried/worn out, there's not enough push back against the lid and it will barely budge when you pull the release lever.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks for the reply. The car was painted with new rubber a couple of years ago. Maybe putting some kind of spacer between the trunk lip and the sael will raise it enough to take care of the problem. This just started.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
There are trunk "poppers" that hot rodders use for this and for doors, but as said shouldn't be required. A bit of seal material at the lower edge will do it.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
I pull the trunk lid release then push it back in - this releases the latch then raises the rear edge of the lid. I think there is a return spring in the latch mechanism but it has never been enough to pull the handle back in and push the lid up.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
What Eric said is how mine works.

If the rod will stay pulled forward, you should be able to walk around and lift the trunk (boot) lid, prop it open and then go back and push the rod rearward.

Jim

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks but it doesn't stay. He's going to try shoving it back in an dif that doesn't work, we'll cut some inner tube to place under the seal at the latch.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
Chris,

This has worked in the past.

Have your neighbor pull and hold the latch rod to its full travel while you get a hold on the luggage rack and move it forward (reduce the gap along the top horizontal edge of the trunk and body) and pull up at the same time.

Good luck.

Don

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Don, thanks, but we can get the trunk open, it just takes two people. I want it to open and stay open until someone comes around to the back to get into the trunk.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Or one person with long arms..

Gary

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Get the correct boot lid seal, the one that is hollow and very soft so it has some spring to it.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster