Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3695156 by EXLU3453 Lance, Even to repair the tank with sealer solder, what ever... the work is the same. The tank has to be removed from the car for an effective repair. By the time you have done all that and sent the tank out for repair and payed all the bills.... its even money, or maybe slightly cheaper going with a new tank. Just my experience. Any short term repairs, ie: Seal-All, or any other external "goop", is just that... temporary. These patch methods have a nasty way of failing just when you don't need them too. Fuel system is just too critical on these cars to not do them right.

... CR

Mitch..... Do you know what type of "sealer" or slushing compound came out of your tank? Polyurethane?

Not my tank, I don't know.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3694686 by Zur Puzzling...
Well prepped & executed steel tank lining failures are virtually unheard of in the classic British motorcycle restoration
community. The ones I've personally known of were the result of 'effed up preparation, and/or poor quality materials.
The tank shown below is my resto-mod '73 Norton 850 Commando with steel tank and "Kreem" brand liner. Glass tank liners were not so reliable in those days.
This bike was almost 35 years old when I sold it, still perfect. And it was no trailer queen! It was more a street-racer/ride to the show bike.
This was in pre-ethanol spiked gas days...maybe that is it?

Dave this subject come up a lot. If you don't do a good job on prep nothing will work. Two things will ruin the gas tank sealer. One is poor prep and the other is putting an over the counter additive in your gasoline. MEK will cause the sealer to come off sheets same as poor prep. Even not giving the tank enough time to dry before sealing will cause failure.

I've been doing gas tanks since 1972 with only one failure. That failure came right after the fuel embargo and when they started to incorporate ethanol in the gasoline. The sealer wouldn't hold up to the ethanol. Shortly after that the sealer's formula was changed.

Like I said I've be doing it since 72 and never had one come back on me for the sealer coming off .

I will admit that they way the baffle are installed in the MGA's gas tank makes it very, very hard to do. Usually there's puddling of the sealer behind the baffles. You have to avoid this from happening.

John

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Thanks John.
I agree the OTC additives to counter the effects of ethanol water absorption must me the culprit.
And MEK is a lining killer.
The OTC additives will remove the water by allowing it to mix with the gas and pass through the combustion process...but I don't recall what those chemicals are. MEK...?
The tank on the Norton was "Kreemed" in about 1982, sold in about 2006 with never a liner problem.
But also never an OTC gas dryer in it!

Dave
"WTF?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
....I too have done lots of tanks, mg triumph alfa motorcycle, and I never put a sealer in them....I strip the rust then coat with fuel oil until I need them for use....then I keep them full.

gary s Avatar
gary s Gary Starr
N Illnois, USA   USA
I found out the hard way that what may work for you might not work for others. I'm from northern Illinois in a collar county of Chicago. We have no access to non alcohol fuel for many,many years. Have many gas powered items in the fleet from a '48 8n Ford to a '14 BMW . The older tanks are coated with a sealer sold by a well known NJ supplier. The tractors, a '47 Cub,'59 Cub and the Ford always have fuel in them and are not used for 6 months. The MG,2 Honda motorcycles,and my boat are always drained. Chainsaws,trimmer and push mowers are not coated,some are drained some are not,but only the Stihl trimmer has ever given trouble requiring a carb replacement. Back in the early spring of '14 I took the boat to central Florida for a show,filling it up at a gas station. Used it but had a good 3/4 tank left. After sitting 3 months used it and started having trouble immediately ,pulled the fuel filter and it looked like teflon tape was in it. Pulled the sender - looked like a plastic bag was floating inside the tank. Never had happened before or since on anything else. What ever the chemical makeup of that Florida blend affected that sealer. Just read an article from 2012 that stated according to the GAO that there are at least 45 and maybe up to 70 different formulations across the country. Use a sealer at your own risk....

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Betty just stuck her head in the door and told me the pizza will be ready in 10 minutes.
In case I have to pee.
Best advice I've had all day...AMF

Dave
"WTF?"

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Gary,

Sounds like you may have pumped in E-85

I would stay away from is E-85 which is a high-level ethanol-gasoline blend containing 51%-83% ethanol.

Dave,

MEK= Methyl Ethyl Ketone and it's in a lot of over the counter fuel additives.

Attachments:
snake-oil-salesman-image-con-artist-38287745.jpg    59.6 KB
snake-oil-salesman-image-con-artist-38287745.jpg

Ganjoka Avatar
Ganjoka Glenn S
ST DAVIDS, PA, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Ethanol in modern pump gasoline is the bane of the old car hobby. It will eat through the sealer, original fuel lines, plastic filter housings and corrode almost anything ethanol comes in contact with in older fuel systems. It also goes bad very quickly I drain my tank, fuel lines and even float bowls if I'm not going to run through the gas within one month. Take a minute and read what Jay Leno has to say about ethanol in pump gas. He wrote a column about it in Hagerty and Autoweek magazines some time ago and has railed against it on his cable show. Just google jay leno and ethanol in gasoline.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In the past, ethanol has been attacked for being corrosive and for damaging fuel system components. However, all types of petroleum products have corrosive properties and oil companies are required by law to add corrosion inhibitors not only to ethanol-blended fuels but also to other petroleum products

gary s Avatar
gary s Gary Starr
N Illnois, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696463 by 59mgaguy Gary,

Sounds like you may have pumped in E-85

Anything is possible could even been messed up in the stations tanks. I would have thought I would have had running issues with e85 though,it is a very healthy 302 that ran fine until the fuel filter clogged up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG MGB MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links