Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
A fellow LBC owner posted this on another forum. It's the remnants of the fuel tank sealant. Enough had come loose to clog the pickup tube. The result was a ride home in the cab of someone's flatbed.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
fuel pump blockage (1).JPG    36.7 KB
fuel pump blockage (1).JPG

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
Mitch, good point: If your tank is in doubt, just get a new tank as its much less expensive than a breakdown on the road, resultant tow, and followup repairs.

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Had the same problem a couple of years ago except it clogged the fuel pump.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
I tried telling that to some guys on the MGB side and got chastised for it. Sealant does not last forever, nor is it guaranteed to stand up against future fuel blends. I had the same problem with a tank I was talked into sealing back in the 90's. The sealer eventually failed and came off in sheets. An original tank that could have been acid dipped and put back into service was instead ruined. These days I either repair the original or buy stainless.

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Puzzling...
Well prepped & executed steel tank lining failures are virtually unheard of in the classic British motorcycle restoration
community. The ones I've personally known of were the result of 'effed up preparation, and/or poor quality materials.
The tank shown below is my resto-mod '73 Norton 850 Commando with steel tank and "Kreem" brand liner. Glass tank liners were not so reliable in those days.
This bike was almost 35 years old when I sold it, still perfect. And it was no trailer queen! It was more a street-racer/ride to the show bike.
This was in pre-ethanol spiked gas days...maybe that is it?

Dave
"WTF?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 04:12 PM by Zur.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
MITCHELL: Just noticed this today. The tank will not rust if it is submerged in Gasoline.???? I always told my Wife, Kids and Customers, it is just as easy to keep the TOP 1/4 of the tank full as the BOTTOM 1/4 ?????

Member Services:
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...been shouting this for years, but people still buy that crap...

MuskokaMKII Avatar
MuskokaMKII Lance Boyce
Bala, ON, Canada   CAN
About 2006 I had a "qualified (maybe?) service provider" replace the original fuel tank in my MGA. I was busy working and didn't have the time to do it myself since my 79 year old Dad (who bought the car new in 61) wanted to drive the car before he lost his licence at 80 due to vision issues.
In the end, the tank leaks if filled beyond a half. Does anyone know of an appropriate and reliable sealant?

Ballybob Avatar
Ballybob Rob McKellar
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia   AUS
1958 MG MGA 1500
1968 MG MGB "NED"
1969 MG Midget
Tank Kreem is absolute crap. Tried in in an old Honda bike years ago and it just didn't work.

On the other hand POR15 is a brilliant product and works well. Great if you have a moisture/ rust issue which bikes get rust in the corners of the tank from water build up.

I cap full of methylated spirits every 6 months in your tank will absorb the water and burn it off without you noticing. Or use that terrible e10 and watch your fuel system clog from too much water in the line!

EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
Lance, if the tank is leaking, and not just around the sender unit, I would recommend to just replace the tank. Make sure the new one is well painted on installation. Also use a little Hylomar sealant on the sender gasket and screws when you switch over the sender.

Best in the short and long run... the tanks are not that expensive.

... CR

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
LANCE: The ones that I have sent out for sealing were to a RADIATOR SHOP, They boil it out and use some kind of sealer that kind of looks PURPLE. Takes at lease 72 hours for it to dry. I have had very good luck with them. BUT, BUT, BUT, we have figured out how to NOT< NOT< NOT clog up the inside the tank FILTER. I just today put up some pictures about the filter. The subject was about SU FUEL Pumps and Fuel Filters Should be easy to search it up here. Cost to boil out and seal ??? $100.00 New tanks now are close to that I think ?????? CHEERS

Member Services:
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Yep. It's only a few dollars more to get a brand new tank! Unless you're serious about trying to retain everything "original," I'd recommend going the new tank route! If nothing else, less headaches!

MuskokaMKII Avatar
MuskokaMKII Lance Boyce
Bala, ON, Canada   CAN
Colin and Joseph,
Thanks for your thoughts.
The leak comes from the right rear corner. There is no problem at the sender or anywhere below that corner which is a bit of a high point in the installation.
I believe the installer dropped the tank and damaged a seam and then installed it anyway.
I hate to buy a new tank when, despite its age this one has hardly been used, only filled a dozen times and should be repairable. It's a tiny leak but stinks up the garage.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
myadvice.....if the inside is rusty......dont use it

EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
Lance, Even to repair the tank with sealer solder, what ever... the work is the same. The tank has to be removed from the car for an effective repair. By the time you have done all that and sent the tank out for repair and payed all the bills.... its even money, or maybe slightly cheaper going with a new tank. Just my experience. Any short term repairs, ie: Seal-All, or any other external "goop", is just that... temporary. These patch methods have a nasty way of failing just when you don't need them too. Fuel system is just too critical on these cars to not do them right.

... CR

Mitch..... Do you know what type of "sealer" or slushing compound came out of your tank? Polyurethane?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster