Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
.......but based on what's remaining of this car, is it worth the $7k starting price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-MG-MGA-Twin-Cam/292476425354?hash=item4418f4148a:g:gp0AAOSw3ZNaoZYk&vxp=mtr

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
(Yikes!) Whooeee...... umm that depends... is the twin cam engine rebuildable? If so, it, combined with the disk wheels and twin cam rims and the other bits of "unobtanium" would make this worthy of $7k but not much more!

valhalle Avatar
valhalle Brendan McShane
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
You hit the nail on the head there steve. Dubious as to wether the engine can be saved judging by the condition of the car. The frame and body have almost no savable parts on it and would be well outside the skillset even to many of the artists on this forum. The seller has three more twin cams for sale, those arent much better either. Guy he is selling them for bought them and stored em all outside for years judging by the similarities in condition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Saw that this morning too. $7k for that pile of rust, in my opinion, is waaaaaay too much.

Plumberpilot Avatar
Plumberpilot Silver Member Ricky May
Salem, Salem Va, USA   USA
If you’re into twincams its a deal at the opening bid. Theres wheels hubs brake calipers a rear end for a TC then theres the steering rack and 7k tach not to mention a frame and YD3 chassis number with title? The brake box and pedals are unbelievably hard to find.
The head, cam covers, and block are worth 4k by themselves. A bit more than a pile of rust.

I’ve divested myself of twincams (again) or I’d try and buy it.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3693913 by Plumberpilot If you’re into twincams its a deal at the opening bid. Theres wheels hubs brake calipers a rear end for a TC then theres the steering rack and 7k tach not to mention a frame and YD3 chassis number with title? The brake box and pedals are unbelievably hard to find.
The head, cam covers, and block are worth 4k by themselves. A bit more than a pile of rust.

I’ve divested myself of twincams (again) or I’d try and buy it.

.......seems the sellers have a good understanding of what they are selling.

valhalle Avatar
valhalle Brendan McShane
Someone bought a twin cam engine in pieces, wheels, brake bits, a dash with gauges, some other bits and bobs and a whole lot of rust for $8200. Sure we'll see the other 3 he has for sale soon!

Brendan

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3693824 by copernicus is it worth the $7k starting price?

Not to me it isn't! I like twin cams and nearly bought one a coupe of times long ago, but I've never understood the selling prices of the past decade. But to those who are heavily into them, the engine alone (if complete) is worth that much even if worn out.

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
One of the problems with clapped out twin cam engines is their ability to be rebuilt (at any cost).
Ron

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Even at $8200, I believe the buyer has a good deal! You can find twin cam vehicles in "acceptable" condition (i.e. missing most of the "unobtanium" parts) for about the same price as regular 1500 and 1600 MGAs! Together with this purchase, you could have a complete "Twinkie" for $20K give or take a grand. You could then spend $40-45K on a restoration and have a great running Twinkie that should be worth anywhere from $5-20K more than you had put in it! I'm basing my figures on advertised asking prices for Twin-cams ($65-85K) that have been in the classic car mags and on the websites. Of course, prices are all over the place and restoration costs are even more volatile! Alot depends upon what the buyer wants it for.

valhalle Avatar
valhalle Brendan McShane
This one is in better shape than the last one, but still a basket case. I like where it says this one "has most of the hard to find twin cam parts". Those missing parts could possibly sink you in a restoration, depending on what they were! A gamble again, even at $7k??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-MG-MGA-/292485172195?nav=SEARCH

Cheers,

Brendan

alfachris Chris Rich
Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA   USA
Well, I've just been down this road. It's a rocky one.

I think it was worth it for the parts, but it seems if you were looking use it as a resto platform, you'd be under water soon (like it appears this car has been for a while).
Ricky rattled off many of the unobtanium parts, which is all true. Engine cranks, heads and valve covers are very expensive. Wheels are $900 EACH (of course, you'll need to restore them). But you've made back HALF of the car when you sell the wheels. People will mow your lawn for a season if you agree to sell them the rear hand-brake calipers. Does it have the 'last chance' valve? Surprisingly hard to find.....

It seems like many parts missing from the engine, or maybe they're just not shown and it's actually complete?? If that's true, that would really ice it, as rebuilt motors are worth about $20k.

1958 MGA Twincam (finally!)
1970 Lotus Elan
1971 Datsun 240z
1991 Mazda Miata
Ducatis, Guzzis and Triumphs

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster