AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

topdoc56 Gold Member Charles F
Covington, LA - Louisiana, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB
So it is time to pack the wheel bearings with grease and my tub of grease is circa 1975 ( the Quaker State one) has seen better days. So I decide to go to the parts store and get some new grease. Didn't realize there were so many choices. Besides the store brand, there were two choices of the Valvoline grease; one for Ford Lincoln Mercury (which I purchased) and one for GM Chrysler and Japanese cars. I looked and looked, but could not find one for MG's or other LBC's-- go figure.
Anyway like I said, I purchased the one for Ford Lincoln Mercury and when I got home, curiosity got the best of me. I googled the difference and apparently one has a small amount of molybdenum and one does not. Even though they were both labeled for wheel bearings, there is some controversy on using grease with moly on wheel bearings.
Since you guys are the experts on MG's I thought I would ask what you guys use? Has anyone used this Valvoline grease? Any problems with it.
As always, I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180307_173356.jpg    37.8 KB
20180307_173356.jpg

20180307_173409.jpg    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Since your MGB has the same wheel bearings as millions of GM cars, you might want that. Probably not a problem with the Ford grease though!

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I've used straight high pressure Molygrease, for everything, for years, no apparent problems.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I use AMSOIL

Member Services:
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
i use the green water proof synthetic grease.....after packing some wheel bearings for a trailer with a "packing tool" i went to clean the packing tool with gasoline.....it took me forever to clean it even with it soaking in gasoline.....thats when it became my go to grease. i figured if you cant clean it after soaking it in gasoline its really good stuff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Randy England Avatar
Asquith, SK, Canada   CAN
I use grease from a tube. Never had any problems. Hey it works on combine bearings and they live a harder life than wheel bearings.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Two words.... Ear wax.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
My wife read this and added two more words: "Eewww... gross!!" tongue sticking out smiley

Ex Pat Avatar
Ex Pat Anthony Boothman
Barrie, ON, Canada   CAN
Oh the dreaded oil, err I mean grease thread

topdoc56 Gold Member Charles F
Covington, LA - Louisiana, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB
Mitch,
I thought about ear wax, but it was hard getting enough in my hand to pack the bearings. My wife drew the line when I started looking in her ears. That's when I decided to go the commercial route smileys with beer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster