Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Avesta, Dalarna, Sweden   SWE
Hello again !

The car I bought has been stationary for a long time .I do not know exactly how long so I expect a considerable long time.

I have never seen the car myself in real life. so I have to rely on the pictures that I have and try to prepare myself as good as possible.

I've been thinking about whether to start tearing down the car as soon as I get it home or if I'm going to start it up and drive it over the summer before I start with the renovation.

I have decided to drive it over the summersmiling smiley

intend to place an order on Moss with some parts needed to start the car.

would be grateful if I could get some tips on what to consider when starting up an MGA that has been sitting for a long time

Would also like some tips on parts that you may want to change before startup .

Here's a list I've done on parts so far:

Exhaust Systems ( Three different options, what do you recommend?)

SPORTS EXHAUST SYSTEM, STAINLESS STEEL PART NUMBER: STR634SS
--------------------------------------------

Front Pipe, exhaust, stainless steel PART NUMBER: FSMG17

Exhaust, silencer, sports free-flow PART NUMBER: STR705SB
---------------------------------------------

Exhaust System, Tourist Trophy, stainless steel, 3 piece PART NUMBER: 454-879

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radiator, Thermostat, Water Pump & Hose

FAN BELT GCB10900
RADIATOR HOSE, upper & lower GRH305X
HOSE, heater return to elbow AHH5434
RADIATOR HOSE, pipe to pump FMK8859
GASKET, thermostat housing, cork GTG101

Rebuild Kit, H4 carburettor, 1500cc GAC2101X
Hose, air intake AHH5394

Which engine oil do you recommend? Have seen that there are some different oil filters, which would you recommend?

many questions popd up , I hope you will have patience with me confused smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
Johan, I have found that if you can get the car up and running, and driving is best. Then you will find out exactly what the car "needs" to be a safe driving car. You may need to replace the braking system, and I mean everything! If the car has sat for many years, things stick, seize, leak and get corroded. They may not do these things all at once, but they will when you most need the car to stop. Its $700 - $800 CAD to do the job here, and that is just parts.... but much better than chasing issues. You can always make it run.... but make it stop first.

...CR

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tunan Johan Thunberg
In reply to # 3694893 by Blueosprey90 MGB, but try this.

https://www.mgexp.com/article/awakening-sleeping-mg.html

That was quite extensive and good guide smiling smiley

Thank you very much!

Tunan Johan Thunberg
In reply to # 3695163 by EXLU3453 Johan, I have found that if you can get the car up and running, and driving is best. Then you will find out exactly what the car "needs" to be a safe driving car. You may need to replace the braking system, and I mean everything! If the car has sat for many years, things stick, seize, leak and get corroded. They may not do these things all at once, but they will when you most need the car to stop. Its $700 - $800 CAD to do the job here, and that is just parts.... but much better than chasing issues. You can always make it run.... but make it stop first.

...CR

Thanks for your reply. You have some very good points there smiling smiley

I will focus on getting the car up and running first and getting the parts needed to make run smiling smiley

Tunan Johan Thunberg
This morning in Sweden sleepy Feels like the MGA seasons are far away confused smiley

Attachments:
20180312_061210.jpg    29.2 KB
20180312_061210.jpg

JimNH Avatar
JimNH Jim Mail
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Camilla (the Other Woman)"
i took my car apart and then worked on it for 8 years before I got to drive it.

If I had it to do over, and the car was at all drivable as-is, I would fix what needed fixing and then drive the car for while, then do a rolling restoration, without having to take the car off the road for too long unless really needed. For example - buy a second engine to restore and then swap them rather than have your car sitting unusable...

JIM in NH

Tunan Johan Thunberg
In reply to # 3695758 by JimNH i took my car apart and then worked on it for 8 years before I got to drive it.

If I had it to do over, and the car was at all drivable as-is, I would fix what needed fixing and then drive the car for while, then do a rolling restoration, without having to take the car off the road for too long unless really needed. For example - buy a second engine to restore and then swap them rather than have your car sitting unusable...

JIM in NH

Thank you so much for your input. I'm totally on the same track. so I'll definitely start by running the car smiling smiley

With that said, it may be difficult to combine a total rebuild and a rolling restoration confused smiley

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
Bite the bullet up front and buy another one.
I’m down to four now. Two to drive one to work on and one for later.
Like a Lays potato chip can’t have just one.
Get a driver and a project. By the time the project is a driver the driver can be the project.
“Rolling” restorations never end in a great car just one compromise after another.
Every A out there either had a frame off restoration or needs one.
Very few real survivors. Every A out there was worth less than $500 at some point.

Tunan Johan Thunberg
In reply to # 3696444 by RJBrown Bite the bullet up front and buy another one.
Get a driver and a project. By the time the project is a driver the driver can be the project.
“Rolling” restorations never end in a great car just one compromise after another.
Very few real survivors. Every A out there was worth less than $500 at some point.

Four cars, that was impressive ! drinking smiley

in the right circumstances I would like to have several MGAssmiling smiley

Unfortunately, the money goes elsewhere, just bought a house that requires some renovation, A couple of children at home and Perhaps the biggest problem, a way too small garage smiling smiley

so I have to settle with one car until I can afford to buy a bigger garage smileys with beer

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
In reply to # 3696444 by RJBrown Bite the bullet up front and buy another one.

I like this quote. The scary thing is how quickly it changed from something I was driving around and worth eight or nine thousand (photo 1) to the moment soon after I bit the bullet and reduced it to £500 (photo 2).It's not for the faint hearted.

Attachments:
MGA agreed value 2012 004.jpg    69.5 KB
MGA agreed value 2012 004.jpg

DSCN0050.JPG    48.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tunan Johan Thunberg
"Every A out there either had a frame off restoration or needs one." I think my car needs one confused smiley I hope I'm not faint hearted drinking smiley

joemamma Gold Member Robert White
Monroe,NC 28112, USA   USA
The carb float bowls are on the wrong carbs. Switching front to back will get them to sit at the correct angles. Nice project!
Bob

Bob
2x 63 MGB, 67 MGBGT, 2x 74.5 Rubber bumper BGT
99 miata 10ae,

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Thank you very much !

This kind of tips are very useful for a beginner like me thumbs upsmileys with beer

Judge Jeffs Avatar
Judge Jeffs Gold Member Bill Jeffries
Chichester, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1959 MG MGA "Maggie"
Johan, hope I’m not too late to add my welcome and to wish you well with what looks like a really solid project.
You may find something useful on my site, that charts the six year home restoration of my car, or it may just help if you’re having trouble getting to sleep at night!
Best of luck
Bill
www.mgarestoration.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster