Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Avesta, Dalarna, Sweden   SWE
Hello !

I have just bought an MGA 1500 from 1958. I have not even got the car delivered yet smiling smiley

I thought I would prepare for the future renovation with some basic questions .

I hope you would like to give me some advice.

If you are going to renovate the car, what upgrades do you recommend ?

I've heard that it's a good idea to mount a front Sway bar ,are there any kit's available ?

Maybe an upgrade to disc brakes may be a good idea ?

Grateful for advice.

/Johan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
willysmb Avatar
willysmb ken klay
london, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA "Money Pit"
Johan, welcome and good luck ...smileys with beer

i found a early MGB sway bar on ebay but needed to alter the chassis mounts as early cars

did not come equipped to fit the sway bar ..

Barnets site "MGA Guru" is a treasure chest of info ...

Disk breaks, yes ... although many say that the original breaks work just fine ..

alternator...

Negative earth ..

in line fuses

single 12V battery

seat belts

LED lighting ...

others will add to the list ..

ken ...

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Yes Johan, welcome! All of Ken's suggestions are good ones. Ken mentioned www.mgaguru.com Spend hours on that site while waiting for your car to arrive. This site too. Lots of great people here who can help with just about anything.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Welcome to the madness smiling smiley Be sure to share pics, often!

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Thank you all for the warm welcome ! smileys with beer

Here are some pictures of my car:

Attachments:
1.jpg    15.3 KB
1.jpg

2.jpg    18.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
4.jpg    40.6 KB
5.jpg    51.8 KB
A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
I would reccomend driving it in its standard form fist, remember, in their day, they were quite a usable everyday car. Most upgrades can be made without too much disruption to previous restoration if you change our mind. The exception I would make is seat belts. When I showed my MGA acquisition to my daughter in her late 20’s...

Her. Where’s the seat belts?
Me. It predates seat belt legislation.
Her (in the speed that only a daughter can do). Does that mean it predates accidents?

I fitted seat belts. There’s a feeling of nakedness without them and the disconcerting insecurity your passenger feels that she (usually she) will fall out of the door round roundabouts (ok, the State’s has very few roundabouts but you get my drift [pun intended]).

All the best with the restoration, keep us posted.

Pete

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Welcome! Hey, it looks like you found a pretty decent 1500 to work with! (I say this with a certain nostalgia as my first MGA, a '59 1500 looked almost exactly the same!)

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Just have to say I'm overwhelmed by how nice and accommodating everyone is in here.

It is much appreciated.smiling smileythumbs up

It appears that the exhaust system has seen its best days smiling smiley

Feels like i have to buy a new one soon, I guess there are a few different options, do you have anything to recommend ?

Attachments:
1.jpg    37.8 KB
1.jpg

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
There are a couple of vendors who offer a stainless steel pipe and muffler set. I have one on my car. The pipe comes in two sections with a supplied clamp to join them about under the drivers seat. They can be easily shipped that way. Stainless will outlast the car. The only thing that will happen is that the fiberglass stuffing in the muffler will eventually get blown out and the muffler will need to be replaced. Barney, the MGA guru has opened holes in his and stuffed them back full of fiberglass. It apparently works for a while, but not as long as a new muffler.
Check your mounting brackets and hangers as they'll probably need replacing too. Also, when you install the muffler, the attached tailpipe gets oriented in a peculiar counter intuitive way. Kind of upward and toward the center of the car. When oriented this way, it puts the muffler between the leaf spring and the fuel tank with some clearance.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

EXLU3453 Avatar
EXLU3453 Colin T
Brantford, ON, Canada   CAN
1951 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
New stainless exhaust system. Then go to Barney's site for drawings of heat shield under driver floor. Best upgrade for 1500 is the T9 5-speed. and Poly Bushings. If the front extensions have the notch for the front sway bar use the original style available from Moss and others. If the notches are not there Modify a MGB sway bar. And don't over look using LED bulbs at least in the rear tail lamps.

If you don't have to take the car apart... don't. Just drive the "H" out of it. JMHO

.. CR

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
Here's Barney's link to my sway bar modification. It worked out fine and is fairly easy to do. This applies to mounting a MGB style sway bar under the front frame extension. Your car might already have a sway bar mounted above the front frame extension.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs103d.htm

I have a race car - close to stock - and the sway bar is 3/4" in diameter. I would say that the bar is perhaps more stiff than you would need on a street car. It induces a bit of understeer - but not overly so. Can make for interesting tire squeal.

Every one on these boards has seen this video, but since you are new, I though you might want to hear how it sounds.

Edit: Ooh! Ooh! I could trade you some of the modified sway bar links for some Volvo PV 444 parts. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 05:44 PM by Blueosprey90.

Tunan Johan Thunberg
Thank you so much everybody for all the valuable tips and suggestions !

Tunan Johan Thunberg
In reply to # 3693629 by Blueosprey90 Here's Barney's link to my sway bar modification. It worked out fine and is fairly easy to do. This applies to mounting a MGB style sway bar under the front frame extension. Your car might already have a sway bar mounted above the front frame extension.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs103d.htm

I have a race car - close to stock - and the sway bar is 3/4" in diameter. I would say that the bar is perhaps more stiff than you would need on a street car. It induces a bit of understeer - but not overly so. Can make for interesting tire squeal.

Every one on these boards has seen this video, but since you are new, I though you might want to hear how it sounds.

Edit: Ooh! Ooh! I could trade you some of the modified sway bar links for some Volvo PV 444 parts. smileys with beer

Very good information about the sway bar thumbs up

Great video, great Car and a wonderful sound smiling smiley

of pure curiosity, what Volvo PV 444 parts do you need ? smileys with beer

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
I don't know exactly what parts I need, but I need a lot of them. smileys with beer

My purchase was what you might call "accidental". The car runs and drives, but .... smileys with beer

Tunan Johan Thunberg
I know nothing about the market for volvo parts in the sates, but if I can help in any way I would be happy to do that smileys with beer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster