AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Is this a good deal
  This topic is about my 1959 MG MGA 1500
Jeffs72MGB Avatar
Jeffs72MGB Jeff Strong
Eden, NY, USA   USA
I need B post for both sides of my A. I saw this listing on ebay and am considering pulling the trigger on then but first I would like some opinions from those who have gone before me. Thanks for you input. Jeff

ebay B posts

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Moss's list price is $180 each so that is likely a decent deal. Note that all the reproduction parts will still need some 'fettling' for a good fit. Consider them a starting point.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
Jeff, if they are of older, unused stock then they may actually fit better than some of the new repro units; price, including shipping is fair. If you don't pull the plug on this set, consider talking to Kilmartin Sheet Metal in Australia. They have a selection of quality parts; obviously key challenge is shipping into the U.S., but it never hurts to do a bit of competitive shopping. Good luck.

http://www.kas-kilmartin.com.au/MG%20Description%20List.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...worst case is you can use part of them if not all.....seems a good deal to me too......

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Most of the reproductions I've seen don't have that 4 degree "drift" that the front vetical panel covered by the shut plate shound have. Some alter the repros to get better door closure. Don't know about Kilmartin's but they have been good at responding to inquiries.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Jeff,

How much of your B post is left? Can you post a couple of pictures of them? Maybe your's can be salvaged?

John

Jeffs72MGB Avatar
Jeffs72MGB Jeff Strong
Eden, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for the opinions. I have sent an email to Kilmartin. Another one I've heard good thing about is Sportscar Metalworks.

John I have attached a pic of what I'm working with.

Attachments:
IMG_0356.JPG    57.3 KB
IMG_0356.JPG

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Not a lot to work with, usually we like to work with repairable original panels, but looks like you'll need to replace.

I'd look at the best reproduction panels I could find or maybe a good original rear clip? Take a look at Carl Heidman's site at Eclectic Motorworks, or even give Peter a call at Sportscar Craftsmen, he has Carl's body jigs and has a large inventory of used parts.

Keep us updated.

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
It's Paul at Sports Car Craftsmen. I'd say he has the largest used parts inventory in the country (for sure the central region of the US! ) Are you planning on doing the job yourself or having a professional do the cutting and welding?

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
My appology, Paul at Sportscar Craftsmen.

His reproduction parts actually fit, used his front extention bumper support brackets, and he sent me out some brake pedals modified for better foot clearance.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Jeff,

Check out Barney's site http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/rt620.htm . If you feel up to it why don't you make your own B post. Barney also has a posting on his website about how to make them. But don't believe the part about making the the top curve with a hammer. I suggest you buy a stretcher/shrinker for the curve. You can use the tool in other places so it pays for it's self.

MGAguru.com
Body Sill Replacement - RT-612A
B-Post Rear Panel

I've got a wooden pattern I saved from mine.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 11:03 AM by 59mgaguy.

Ken Nesbit Avatar
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
+1 on Kilmartin, I got A/B pillars and sills from them, with the $.74 on the dollar exchange rate, the price ended up being about the same as the others, as for postage it was a little pricey but they were delivered a week after I placed the order (to Virginia), about the same as ordering something from California. Very pleased with the service and quality.

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Price is reasonable. I think I paid more for mine, through Jaguar by Jorge. I consider him a helluva great source for parts too.

Jeffs72MGB Avatar
Jeffs72MGB Jeff Strong
Eden, NY, USA   USA
Grubeguy do you have any contact information for Jaguar by Jorge.

In reply to # 3692821 by Grubeguy Price is reasonable. I think I paid more for mine, through Jaguar by Jorge. I consider him a helluva great source for parts too.

Jeffs72MGB Avatar
Jeffs72MGB Jeff Strong
Eden, NY, USA   USA
I just got an email back from Paul at Sports Car Craftsmen (see below). I haven't heard back from Kilmartin Automotive yet. If anyone has any other recommendations let me know.

Hi, Jeff -

Unfortunately, we do not make the parts that you are asking about. We recommend buying them from Moss and fixing them as needed.

Thanks for writing.

Paul Dierschow
Sports Car Craftsmen, LLC
5635 Kendall Ct.
Arvada CO 80002
303-422-9272
www.sportscarcraftsmen.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links