Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

malcox Avatar
malcox Silver Member Malcolm Cox
Napa, CA, USA   USA
Curious about the driveshaft attached directly to the flywheel, was this in a boat perhaps?
malcolm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
I suggest you read up-thread, Malcolm. All will be revealed :-)

David8831 Avatar
David8831 David Halliday
Thame, Oxfordshire, UK   GBR
John, my MGA 1600 MK2 came with a AMW engine in it. It had been a race car through the 70’s and 80’s then sat in a garage until 2012 when I bought it. Being a race car, it is not unusual to have had engine swaps.

It had flat top 4 ring pistons, an MGA cam and a head that had abviously had some work done on it. The PO had swapped the tach for an electronic one - a lot easier than trying to machine the block for the drive!

I don’t think it is too unusual to find an AMW block in an MGA.

By the way, I am rebuilding it with a set of +60 Venolia forged pistons, a Piper 270 cam, a Peter Burgess fast road head and various other good bits.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DevonMG John Russell
If you need another one, David, just pm me. I'm open to offers—or maybe we could do a swap for other parts, if you have any?

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Looks like a Sherpa 1622.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
TonyCap Tony Capuano
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I have a 1622 engine with with the following engine number: 16 ANHY6055S
Does anyone know what this engine is originally out of and what it's specifications are?

Attachments:
BMC Engine number tag.jpg    28.4 KB
BMC Engine number tag.jpg

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
SW, CT, USA   USA
Tony, is that engine number stamped directly onto the block or is it on a plate riveted to the block (Australia did not allow riveted plates originally). Here's a link to Barney's site with some good info on MGA's bound for Australia:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ckd/ckd102m.htm

TonyCap Tony Capuano
Nick,
It's a plate riveted to the block.
The engine is in my MGA but I don't think its the original engine so am trying to figure out what car it came out of and what the specs are.
I may even drill out the rivets and see if there is anything stamped on the block under the plate.

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Don't drill them out - they are not actually rivets but rather a 'drive rivet' - sort of like a very coarse screw thread but a with smooth head. I use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the head then use a screwdriver to back them out (counter clockwise). New ones are tapped into place with a hammer.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

57Coupe Avatar
57Coupe Andy Bloom
Grand River, Ohio, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "1957 Coupe"
Not to hi-jack the thread. but did you spec out your Venolia pistons? If so I'd like the specs as I need a set for a 1622 build as well. Thanks

In reply to # 3712174 by David8831 John, my MGA 1600 MK2 came with a AMW engine in it. It had been a race car through the 70’s and 80’s then sat in a garage until 2012 when I bought it. Being a race car, it is not unusual to have had engine swaps.

It had flat top 4 ring pistons, an MGA cam and a head that had abviously had some work done on it. The PO had swapped the tach for an electronic one - a lot easier than trying to machine the block for the drive!

I don’t think it is too unusual to find an AMW block in an MGA.

By the way, I am rebuilding it with a set of +60 Venolia forged pistons, a Piper 270 cam, a Peter Burgess fast road head and various other good bits.

DevonMG John Russell
Eric. From the image Tony provided of the engine ident plate, it looks unusually pristine and nothing like the factory version. It also seems to have been attached with pop rivets rather than drive rivets.

I wouldn't set much store by the engine #,Tony.

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
In reply to # 3717973 by DevonMG Eric. From the image Tony provided of the engine ident plate, it looks unusually pristine and nothing like the factory version. It also seems to have been attached with pop rivets rather than drive rivets.

You are correct (on both points), my error (I didn't look closely at the photo).

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

TonyCap Tony Capuano
Hi John,
I am going to drill out the rivets and take a look underneath to see if there is anything stamped on the block.
It's definetly a 1622 block as it has the raised 1622 on the side.

Attachments:
engine block number 1622.jpg    58.2 KB
engine block number 1622.jpg

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
SW, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717817 by TonyCap Nick,
It's a plate riveted to the block.
The engine is in my MGA but I don't think its the original engine so am trying to figure out what car it came out of and what the specs are.
I may even drill out the rivets and see if there is anything stamped on the block under the plate.

Tony, there may well be an engine number underneath the plate; it may be well worth a bit of effort to see, but don't damage the original plate in case it is required to match your paperwork.

DevonMG John Russell
Tony. Is the tacho drive take off present on yours or is it not machined out like mine is? If like this it's likely to be from a saloon car or van.

Attachments:
Old B engine 8.JPG    62.7 KB
Old B engine 8.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster