Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I doubt the extra vent has any effect on anything. I suspect it's the same as having 2 vents in your gas cap. Easy to find out... just put a piece of tape over the vent holes in the caps and go for a drive.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
discwheel1500 Avatar
discwheel1500 Silver Member Randy M
BOISE, ID, USA   USA
Thanks for bringing this up....

Turns out my carbs have NO vent holes at all...neither in the cap nor in the body.....

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb105a.htm

I have another set of carbs and will check them tomorrow.....I may have just switched the dampers, but tomorrow will tell.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 09:52 PM by discwheel1500.

tnmcleod Avatar
tnmcleod Silver Member Thomas McLeod
Sharpsburg, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
As it turns out, the carbs on the car are not the factory installed ones. At some point before I bought the car, the carbs were replaced by a set of 1500 ones as confirmed by the ID tag on the float bowls and the discovery of the Beck/Arnley 1500 needles.. I cannot confirm whether the one or two holes make a difference as I rebuilt the carbs and plugged the holes in the brass caps with solder. All of this precludes being certain why, but it runs much, much better. Now the tasks are fixing all the little things that pop up in a car that is 55+ years old and been somewhat neglected for most of the last 25. Lots of challenges. Lots of joy. Lots of fun!!

Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
discwheel1500 Avatar
BOISE, ID, USA   USA
Tom, did you happen to measure the piston on the dampers?

See this link:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb105.htm

I'm wondering if this piston length really makes a noticable difference......all 4 dampers that I have are the "long" piston type, brass cap and no vent hole..

Randy

tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Randy,

Short .308" meaning I have new dampers in old carb bodies.

Tom

discwheel1500 Avatar
BOISE, ID, USA   USA
Thanks Tom,

I just got done shortening the pistons on my dampers...Now .308, and the caps have vents too....

Thanks again for bringing this up!

Randy

tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Randy,

NP. My original questions were asked out of ignorance or forgetfulness, take your pick.
Having not worked on a LBC for somewhere north of 40 years and a serious reduction in the number of usable brain cells I needed some help.

The carb swap didn't help either as it introduced even more confusion. Next step is to get the 'tuning' part down better. Practice, practice, practice!

Safety Fast,

Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster