AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SU Carb Damper cap
  This topic is about my 1962 MG MGA MkII
tnmcleod Avatar
tnmcleod Silver Member Thomas McLeod
Sharpsburg, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
I can't find anything on the forum referencing this so I am going to show my ignorance.
One of the projects in the process of making my MK II roadworthy is a carb rebuild.
The car has been immobile for some time and while it will start and run there is a very pronounced
hesitation on throttle application and it just runs very poorly. In researching the cause I have found,
courtesy of Barney that the damper venting is different on 1500's and 1600's. He says that the 1500 has holes in the damper vent cap
and the 1600's have a hole drilled in the casting to vent the upper to the lower chamber. All of this makes perfect sense to me.
However, my carbs have holes in the damper caps and in the chamber body. This is bad, I presume. As far as I can determine,
the carbs are original. It does not appear that they were ever removed from the car. I just want to make sure that replaceing the damper caps with
one without the holes will be the correct ting to make all work correctly.
Any help is much appreciated as I am somewhat confused.

Thanks in advance,

Tom McLeod

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Thomas,

Since the bleed vent is in the dome you'll need to change the damper rod or block off it's vent hole.

LannM Avatar
LannM Platinum Member Lann Mauck
Claremore, OK, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB Varitone "The Queen"
1963 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
You only want one vent hole per carb. I would suggest either getting new non-vented caps or, I suppose you could plug the hole in the cap. Just make sure it's a good seal.

It may not solve all your problems, but it is a step in the right direction.

Good luck.

Lann

Lann Mauck
Three Main LLC
Desktop Badge Bars and other odds and ends
www.ThreeMainLLC.com

Member Services:
Desk Top Badge Bars, GT Spare Tire Cover Strut Kits, Dipstick Toppers and other odds and ends.
MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
I believe you are correct, one or the other but not both.

P.S.
The major difference in the carbs. is in the needles. Make sure that the collar on the needle is flush with the base of the dash-pot piston.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
My 57 MGA 1500 Coupe's carbs do not have holes in the damper vent cap but has a hole drilled in the casting to vent the upper to the lower chamber. I believe them to be original to my car.

Regardless, John Twist explains it here.

Jim

tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Thanks for all the input guys. Rebuild in progress. Rear first. All disassembled and in the Pine Sol bucket yesterday afternoon.
Will see what it looks like today and commence the cleaning process. Replacing the dampers with "hole less" ones.
Daily homage being paid to the 'Omnipotent Overseer' of all those who tamper with automotive stuff from across the pond.

Tom

Attachments:
P1010451.JPG    51 KB
P1010451.JPG

P1010454.JPG    35.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010455.JPG    38.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Pistons and chambers are a matched set. They cannot just be swapped around

Gary

tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Gary,
That is why only one at a time. The one still assembled is the front and the one in the bucket is the rear.
I have learned over the years to be more careful than I used to be. Keep an example whenever possible.
It helps in avoiding the Wrath of the Omnipotent Overseer.

Tom

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Thomas,

When you get done cleaning with the Pine-Sol.. Will you post pictures on what it does to the aluminum? I find that most soaps will dull and stain the metal. But I never tried Pine-Sol.

Outside looks like a few I've done in the past. I also notice your front levers need to be replaced. How's the rear one? Don't forget to clean out the vacuum bleed hole.

John

GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TN, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
My 1622 original carbs have holes in the caps not in the damper body.

Gil

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3687382 by tnmcleod It helps in avoiding the Wrath of the Omnipotent Overseer.

I refer to mine as "Management." To her face, I call her "yes Dear."

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
In reply to # 3687382 by tnmcleod It helps in avoiding the Wrath of the Omnipotent Overseer.
In reply to # 3688414 by Grubeguy I refer to mine as "Management." To her face, I call her "yes Dear."

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Actually guys, I am most fortunate as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is fully in tune (pardon) with the goings on the Garage.
I was referring to the Omnipotent One; Father Of Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Uncle to Morris, Austin, Riley, Hillman and cousin of Triumph, Rootes,
and Bentley. He who casts his long shadow over all British Autos.

Tom

PS. Milton is wonderful!

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3688640 by tnmcleod Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Uncle to Morris, Austin, Riley, Hillman and cousin of Triumph, Rootes and Bentley. He who casts his long shadow over all British Autos.

In the daylight, right?

cbbehr Avatar
cbbehr Cliff Behrend
Tualatin, OR, USA   USA
My 1622 original carbs have holes in the caps not in the damper body
Cliff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster