AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Door Hinge Shimming
  This topic is about my 1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe
damnfingers Avatar
damnfingers Silver Member Gene Gillam
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
I need to shim the passenger door back a 1/16" of an inch or so to keep from chipping the paint (again!) when I open the door. If I remove the 4 screws holding the hinge to the frame will whatever they're screwed into move or is it fastened to frame in some way? If it's not fastened can I get to it if I remove the side panels?

Thanks,
Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 12:48 PM by damnfingers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
its a floating tapping plate, assuming it has original screws theres plenty of room to loosen those it and shim it out

damnfingers Avatar
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 3680677 by bobs77vet its a floating tapping plate, assuming it has original screws theres plenty of room to loosen those it and shim it out

So if it “floats” does that mean it will fall if all the screws are removed in order to shim the hinge out?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
It depends on how well the tapping plate is retained. Inside the A pillar are some Z shaped pieces of sheet metal to keep the tapping plate in place yet allow it to move for hinge adjustment.

Here's what I do - get a bolt slightly longer than the hinge screws and cut off the head. Saw a slot in the cut off end so you can use a screwdriver in it. Remove a couple of hinge screws and replace one or two with these cut off screws. They then become a handle to hold onto the tapping plate while you remove the other two hinge screws. Slip the shim in place and reverse the procedure.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

damnfingers Avatar
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
Eric...thanks...that gives me enough to go on I think.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
your shim can be a mirror image of the hinge like the original or even a piece of metal that can be slipped in place with the top two screws removed

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Coalville, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
If it's a similar design to the Magnette, then yes, it will drop as it's loosened. I've now learnt to remove the hinge at the door, where the holes are fixed.. Now I've finally realigned the doors again, this is the way I take the doors off now!

In reply to # 3680694 by damnfingers
In reply to # 3680677 by bobs77vet its a floating tapping plate, assuming it has original screws theres plenty of room to loosen those it and shim it out

So if it “floats” does that mean it will fall if all the screws are removed in order to shim the hinge out?

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
If no one has messed with the car the tapping plate will not fall out. It slides in from the inside. The hole is covered by the interior panel. It is enclosed on all other sides.
The picture shows the holes the plates slip into.
The plates if missing can be made out of 1/4” steel plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 05:28 PM by RJBrown.

Attachments:
image.jpg    26.4 KB
image.jpg

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...show us a photo of the door and the damage,and what you have to work with at the jamb...

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
damnfingers Avatar
Saucier, MS, USA   USA
Got it done, thanks.

Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
Gene

Glad you fixed it. However, ref Post#7, the MGA doors have clearance holes for the hinge screws about 1/2" diameter so if you unscrew the hinge on the door face you will have a mega problem, particularly as you have a Coupe since the nuts for the hinge screws are blocked by the window channel.

Door fixing for a Coupe is a lot easier if you make (or buy) tapping plates just like the ones in the A post, and put those inside the door instead of the washers and nuts.

Cheers

Dave

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
In reply to # 3681027 by Bolney Coupe Gene

Glad you fixed it. However, ref Post#7, the MGA doors have clearance holes for the hinge screws about 1/2" diameter so if you unscrew the hinge on the door face you will have a mega problem, particularly as you have a Coupe since the nuts for the hinge screws are blocked by the window channel.

Door fixing for a Coupe is a lot easier if you make (or buy) tapping plates just like the ones in the A post, and put those inside the door instead of the washers and nuts.

Cheers

Dave

i liked your idea so much i did it

Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
Can't imagine why the factory did not do it. Probably because the Coupe was something of an afterthought and access to those nuts is easier on the Roadster.

Or perhaps because the bodies were bought in as complete assemblies and the problem didn't occur in Abingdon.

Rockdog Silver Member Jeff Jones
Woodstock, GA, USA   USA
If you don't mind I'd like to ask a question here pertaining more to the basics of shimming itself. I have had to do a fair amount of work replacing a B post and the metal the B post attaches to. I have also had to purchase a new rear fender. When I mount the fender to the body the door gap is almost perfect however it is a little more narrow at the bottom than at the top. Is my best option to shim the door? If so I'm thinking I would add a shim to the top hinge to push the top of the door back to slightly close the gap so it then matches the gap at the bottom. Is that the general idea? And what do you use for shims, just try different thicknesses of metal until you find the one that works best?

Jeff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 MG Magnette ZB Varitone

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links