AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
The PO of my MGA was an airline pilot who had done his best to make the dashboard look like his office. I spent a day blanking off 11 extraneous holes and relocating the map reading light to its rightful position. Grateful thanks to Nick Kopernik for giving me the dimensions for its proper position.

In case anyone needs to do similar repairs, my chosen method was to make a steel blank a snug fit in the hole, cut a backing plate about 10mm larger than the hole, clamp it all in place and soft solder it. I used plumbers flux and electricians solder (lower melting point than plumbers solder). As with all soldering, cleanliness is the key, make sure everything is spotless including the edges of the hole otherwise the solder will not fill the joint between the blank and dash'. Some of them took a couple of attempts but overall, not too bad. All finished off with a smidgen of filler.

The aircraft-esque instrument at the far left in the 1st photo was apparently a 'g' (acceleration) meter. The PO tells me the g readings were always 'disappointing ... until you hit a pothole'.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
outside 1.jpg    38.1 KB
outside 1.jpg

DSCN1669.JPG    37.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
nice work

Zur Avatar
Zur Silver Member Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Yes, looks good.

Dave
"WTF?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
An "accelleration meter?" Maybe with a McLaren Senna or a Bugatti Chiron but an MGA??

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I have one of those clocks I took out of a dash once.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Be absolutely sure to neutralize the acid in the flux. It'll cause problems later, sometimes much later. Paint and acid don't like each other.

A good scrub with baking soda will do it.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Many years ago I hammer welded a patch in a TC front fender and then leaded it smooth.. then I repainted it every 6 months for a while... Like Mitch said get the acid out..

Gary

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
Thanks for the advice. It had a very thorough washing after soldering but I have to admit I didn’t use baking powder to neutralise it. It’s now primed but final painting won’t be happening for at least another 12 months. I’ll keep an eye on it.

A question for Gary, ‘...hammer welded a patch...’ Do you mean you heated the patch and fender to red heat and belted them with a hammer till they welded together? Like a medieval blacksmith? Never heard of this before for car repairs, I’m intrigued!

Thanks again, Pete

Gary E Avatar
Actually it is sort of brazing with a steel rod and a small flame. Weld a short weld then hammer it flat before it cools, requires almost no grinding but is slow... May not be the correct term but is what I called it.

Gary

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
if both metals are melted and joined together in the same molten pool its welding

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Correct, not to mention Gary pulled whats his names sword out of a rock eons ago....the guys be around I tells ya....

Gary E Avatar
Wyatt how are you doing with more ketchup in your diet... I can't see any difference myself..

Gary

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Wouldn’t Gary have done the first Damascus fender?

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links