Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
To quote Barney:
Quote: It may save some time and pains to post a note on a bulletin board to ask if anyone has recent experience with good or bad replacement springs.

So, further to my question about front springs on my Deluxe build thread, where can I get the correct standard springs for a pushrod car—AHH5546—ideally in the UK?

It seems most of the main suppliers are now selling the later MGB Roadster coil spring AHH6451 as a substitute—even though it's almost one and a half inches too long! As Barney says about incorrect springs...
Quote: They may often be too long or too stiff, making the car sit too high and screwing up handling of the vehicle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Platinum Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
Check this supplier, Very reliable and convenient ($$$)

http://msc.parts/contents/en-uk/d106_Front_Suspension.html

Gio

Attachments:
AHH5546.JPG    16.1 KB
AHH5546.JPG

mgaex189 Avatar
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
Hi John,

I have the springs from MSC for my MKII and the ride is excellent.

Gio

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgaex189 Avatar
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
If you really want the original ones, check here:

https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGOC_SPARES_FRONT__MGA__320.html#a36010W_2dAHH5546

No personal interest for the suppliers at all spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gio

Attachments:
MGOCAHH5546.JPG    37.9 KB
MGOCAHH5546.JPG

DevonMG John Russell
Hi Gio

Re MSC; they're selling 6451 MGB Roadster spring as MGA springs. I have already bought a pair of 6451 from Moss and they're too long.
Re MGOC: I've spoken to someone who has had long dealings with them on this matter. They too were selling MGB springs as suitable for the MGA. However I'll check they might have updated their stock.

Cheers, John

UPDATE. I'm ordering a set of the AHH5546 springs from MGOC to see how they compare. I'll report back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 07:46 AM by DevonMG.

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
colynf Avatar
colynf Colyn Firth
South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
I posted this reply to the same question on the UK MGA forum.

"I fitted a new set of new front springs last winter as part of a complete suspension rebuild front and rear. (I basically got rid if the lowered springs and went back to standard height)

I got some beautifully made and finished standard height front springs from MGOC. Part number AHH5546
I think they were about £18 + Vat.

Their standard springs have the following specification.

Free length 8.88 inches
Wire Diameter 0.543 inches
Rated at 480 pounds.

When I removed my the lowered front springs I expected them to be heavier duty race springs, but they turned out to be standard springs that had been shortened by 0.7 ".

I am really happy with the outcome, the handling is just as sharp as it was before but now I no longer ground the car over every bump."

These specifications exactly match those that Barney recommends on his MGA Guru website .

Cheers
Colyn

Cheers

Dburdick Avatar
Dburdick Silver Member Douglas Burdick
Winnsboro, SC, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1969 MG MGB "Mrs. Doubtfire"
1969 MG MGB "Mrs Doubtfire"    & more
So, I find this discussion a bit disconcerting, as I live in the U.S., and I too need original front springs, as well as rear leaf springs, and I want to get the height right! Who, in the U.S. sells the proper springs , Not MGB springs?

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
In reply to # 3678461 by Dburdick So, I find this discussion a bit disconcerting, as I live in the U.S., and I too need original front springs, as well as rear leaf springs, and I want to get the height right! Who, in the U.S. sells the proper springs , Not MGB springs?

Your '57 MGA will take the same front springs as the MG TF, you may try Abingdon Spares.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I had a problem on ordering front springs. I ended up ordering from OMGSPARES in the UK. Even with shipping, the price was lower then the vendors here in the States.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2281382,2288181#msg-2288181

I believe Gary Edwards has an extra set if he hasn't sold them yet.

John

dr5669 Avatar
dr5669 Gold Member David Looy
Campbell River B.C., Canada   CAN
You might give Scarborough Fair in RI a call 1-401-724-4200 and ask Cecelia what they are stocking. Dave

DevonMG John Russell
In reply to # 3678443 by MGAdavid Also try Brown & Gammons,

https://www.ukmgparts.com/catalogue/mga-midcat-9-submga25-front-suspension

B&G don't have the required AHH5546 front springs. Below is what you get if you put the correct size in their search box.

Update: I've now ordered the MGOC springs (see my last post above). Fingers crossed. I'll report back on this thread when they arrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 12:10 PM by DevonMG.

Attachments:
B& G springs.JPG    11.6 KB
B& G springs.JPG

DevonMG John Russell
In reply to # 3678492 by 59mgaguy I had a problem on ordering front springs. I ended up ordering from OMGSPARES in the UK. Even with shipping, the price was lower then the vendors here in the States.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2281382,2288181#msg-2288181

I believe Gary Edwards has an extra set if he hasn't sold them yet.

John

I just realised John Terschak is referring to MGOC spares. Those are the ones I've ordered. So it seems the evidence is gathering that these are the correct springs. Like I said, I'll report back when the set I've ordered arrives.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3678592 by DevonMG

I just realised John Terschak is referring to MGOC spares. Those are the ones I've ordered. So it seems the evidence is gathering that these are the correct springs. Like I said, I'll report back when the set I've ordered arrives.
[/quote]

John.

When I ordered the springs from MOOC spares I was really shocked to see that they shipped the springs out that afternoon using DSL shipping. By 1am they were in Ohio on the way to North Carolina (State I was living in at the time) By 5 am they were in North Carolina (50 miles away)and shipped out to be delivered to me that day. Great overseas shipping.

THEN IT TOOK OVER A WEEK FOR DSL TO FIND MY DOOR STEP. When finally delivered a week later, late in the evening. I could smell where the driver spent most of the day. Excuse was address lable was wrong. The driver could not find my street nor my address. My address was X00X Phoebus Street. Address on label was X0X missing one zero. There is only one street on the whole island named Phoebus. All house numbers are 4 digits long and the street is only 250 yds long. Driver could not find my street nor figure out my address. He could have asked any person on the street where I lived.

"They call that a Beach Thing"

So I think you going to be pleased on how fast MGOC spares ships out. Just hope you don't get the same driver I had.

John

Pawtucket, RI, USA   USA
Correctly UK made AHH5546 MGA Pushrod model springs are stocked and sold by Scarborough Faire and are the correct spring for all MGA models except the MGA Twin Cam which uses AHH5789 Coil spring (also stocked by us and UK made). However, the original specs on Barney Gaylord's MGA GURU site although are the original, those were designed to be used with old type bias-ply tires, end not with modern radial type tires, that has to be taken into account, and the UK springs we sell have been designed and manufactured to use with modern tires fitted to MGA models. We have sold hundreds of these and when easily fitted make the car sit up to the correct ride height.

Cecelia Bruce
SCARBOROUGH FAIRE

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster