AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

willysmb Avatar
willysmb ken klay
london, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA "Money Pit"
Interesting Richard,...Just comparing an Invoice i have in front of me from the MGOC and the Moss website .. Camshaft "New - Standard" £110.95 MGOC Moss £126.30

Pushrods £2.75 as opposed to £2.95 at Moss Cam followers £4.25 as opposed to £4.94 at Moss.. Im hard pressed to find anything on my invoice that is cheaper at Moss ..

I agree that i its so much easier to shop around with internet shopping but sometimes what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts ..

I will give Moss and B&G's credit for having a slightly greater range on their websites ... Cam racing-Cam Light tuned- pistons Plus 10 20 30 etc etc MGOC seem on the website to be less

extensive but having visited the shop several times during my restoration i found out that the website is not as good as it could be ..

Postage can be the deal breaker ..I do see some stuff on Fleabay that is cheaper but with postage its normally much more expensive ..

Dont underestimate postage on things it can add up very quickly to a large portion of your restoration costs .. Agin I found that hitting the suppliers big time with a Big Big order

saved quite a bit on postage in the long run ..even better if you can visit in person.

ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
I almost always buy from MGOC Spares, cheaper than Moss, I think both use the same suppliers and, in my experience, MGOC are more helpful, flexible and friendly. I ordered a leather seat cover set from Moss once and had to wait till a new batch had been made. Fair enough but they were distinctly cagey as to when they might get a new batch made. It all came good in the end but took a number of phone calls during which some guy kept referring to me as ‘my friend’, I wanted to scream ‘I am not your friend!’ Even with the Moss Gold Member scheme I think you’ll find MGOC to be cheaper.

The exception to ordering from MGOC Spares is if you want steel panels, go to Sports Car Metal. As previously written, I think they supply to the more well known suppliers. The quality is good but not perfect, but then, I suspect all the suppliers fall short when it comes to panel quality. Just be prepared to do a bank transfer to pay, they don’t do credit cards.

Enjoy the journey.

Pete

willysmb Avatar
willysmb ken klay
london, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA "Money Pit"
Peter... Passing very close to you in early June ...Ill send PM.

Something that may have been mentioned is the quality of Rubber parts ...

I tended to find that G&B's rubber- neo-pream (sp) are better than MGOC, its always worth asking about the technical makeup of rubber components.

Now as a slight side line ..A friend is restoring a AH Frog eye and is paying a premium for many parts from

AH dealers when in fact if he buys direct from Morris A30 dealers ( as much of the car is made up from several cheap and cheerful cars ) he can get the same parts at considerable discount

in comparison to AH suppliers ..

One of the good things about the MGOC is the Club Mag and the adverts from people and individual trades selling parts for MGA's and MGB ( commonality in many mechanical parts - depending upon years)

ken ...Ps i hope this helps ..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3692828 by A on a shoe string MGOC are more helpful, flexible and friendly. took a number of phone calls during which some guy kept referring to me as ‘my friend’, I wanted to scream ‘I am not your friend!’ Even with the Moss Gold Member scheme I think you’ll find MGOC to be cheaper.
Pete

Pete,

I'm treated much better over the phone from the Moss sales people out of California. You should try over the counter sales out of Petersburg, Virginia. Doesn't matter that it took you a couple of hours to drive there. It's as you if you are a bother to them when you speak to them when ordering parts. This has been my last two experience at Moss' Virginia store.

John

dickieb Avatar
dickieb Richard Brown
London, London, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA
OK, OK, clearly shopping around is key, postage costs are bad, and customer service is variable.
For the (major) parts I'm after, I've either gone to someone other than MOSS or MGOC, or found MOSS to be cheaper. Minor parts are dictated by geography, and I live a few miles from MOSS Feltham (West London, UK). They've always been really helpful and friendly both on the phone and in person. No affiliation to MOSS, just my experience. I am an MGOC member and have a list of things that I will definitely get from them as well (in addition to the ones I've already got)

willysmb Avatar
willysmb ken klay
london, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA "Money Pit"
Hi Richard ... being that close to a dealer can be worth its weight in gold ...

the ability to keep the restoration moving is key to finishing the retro ...

I restored My "A" close to Cambridge so jumping into the car to go to the MGOC- or B&G's made sense ..

had i restored it at home them Moss ( had i known they had a sales unit near Heathrow ) would have been more efficient

but probably not as cheap ..

ken ..

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
In reply to # 3692926 by dickieb OK, OK, clearly shopping around is key, postage costs are bad, and customer service is variable.
For the (major) parts I'm after, I've either gone to someone other than MOSS or MGOC, or found MOSS to be cheaper. Minor parts are dictated by geography, and I live a few miles from MOSS Feltham (West London, UK). They've always been really helpful and friendly both on the phone and in person. No affiliation to MOSS, just my experience. I am an MGOC member and have a list of things that I will definitely get from them as well (in addition to the ones I've already got)

Yep, I was bordering on a rant. My apologies.

Pete

willysmb Avatar
willysmb ken klay
london, UK   GBR
1956 MG MGA "Money Pit"
devil smiley... grinning smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster