Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

alex33324 Alex V.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
I gave my top frame for sand blasting and powder coating. Is that a good idea? I wonder if I should hand painted instead with spray paint. Has anybody powder coated it before?

1960 MGA Roadster

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Top frame? I have had my entire frame properly rebuilt and realigned to original factory specs with jigs by Ecclectic Motorworks. The frame (or chassis) sat in a basement for two years before I bought it. My people went over the frame and removed any surface rust and prepped it for powder coating. The result was worth the effort!

Attachments:
MGA 001.jpg    44.3 KB
MGA 001.jpg

MGA 018.jpg    40.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGA 002.jpg    39.4 KB
ron neal Avatar
Coastal, SC, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC    & more
Steven
I think he means the convertible top frame. I have no history there.
Your chassis looks very nice.
Alex
Sounds like a plan but does the powder coater have the correct color or is that even a concern?
I always painted mine but thats just me.
Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 03:25 PM by ron neal.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
alex33324 Alex V.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Yes they ordered the paint which might arrive today or tomorrow. I choose to paint it beige as original. My concern is that powder coating is a thicker paint that while stronger than spray paint still might get chip or scratch and is harder to retouch than spray paint.

1960 MGA Roadster

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Ahh... my bad! The original top frame was a beige color which I'm not sure can be duplicated in powder coat. Of course, later on, the replacements were black so you could do it either way. If you had it powder coated, I doubt you would ever have to worry about it again. I have already had to fix a number of scratches on my top's frame and it's been less than two years!

I see you posted while I was still typing. One thing I found was that the actual original top was white (or at least much lighter) underneath while the tops on the outside might be a number of colors. This made the light beige frame color understandable. Now, the tops that can be ordered are mostly unicolor. I had already painted mine beige when I found this out as I had ordered a black, deluxe, Stay-Fast top. If I had to do it over again, I would have painted the frame black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 03:53 PM by Redhawk1689.

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, So Cal, USA   USA
I powercoated an early B frame once. It came out great, no issues with sticky pivots, etc. It was a bit stiffer to erect (insert 8th grade joke here) but loosened up right away with a drop off oil in each pivot.

ELY Edwin Young
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
I had the frame, extension and rear axle powder coated at a local shop. I also purchased a home shop powder coating gun, supplies and a used oven to powder coat everything that could go in it . This included the valve cover, fan blade and rims. I was happy with the way it turned out.
Edwin

Attachments:
powercoating.JPG    95.3 KB
powercoating.JPG

PC.JPG    54.6 KB
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Nice paint, but the cooling fan is backward.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Many ways to finish a top frame or chassis.

I still like epoxy primers because they are tough and waterproof. This frame was primed with DP90 followed by a catalyzed urethane. Very easy to touch up and can be chemically stripped if required (try chemically stripping powder coat, doable but not easy).

Attachments:
DSCN0407k copy.JPG    66.3 KB
DSCN0407k copy.JPG

DSCN0416k.jpg    59.7 KB
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
My frame and everything on the car that is black (except springs) was done at the same time. About 35 pieces..

Gary

Steve S Avatar
Gents, unless I'm mistaken he's talking about a convertible frame, not the car's frame!

ELY Edwin Young
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
IF that the case, unless you pulled all the movable pins and plugged them, powder coating would freeze the scissor joints. I would suggest a good primer and spray paint.

and my fan blade... I just stuck it on to take the picture, I will turn it around when i attach it.

Steve S Avatar
As noted above, I've done it with good results. The powder coat isn't thick enough to freeze the pivots. At least not in my case. I'm not sure I'd do it again though since it's far easier to spray.

bootsranck Avatar
bootsranck Henry Ranck
Billings, MT, USA   USA
1959 Triumph TR3A "Tr"
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG Midget
1976 Triumph TR7
I love powder coat, do all my own sand blasting and coating. Can’t do a a frame unless I farm it out, but the suspension and small parts come out looking better than new and sealed. Yes, when I restored my Tr3A, I powdered coated the top frame. I never had a real problem freeing up the joints, if anything it kinda tightened the whole frame. Gave a nice smooth finish for the top fabric to lay against. The fun stuff was I could only do a little over half the frame at a time in my oven. Powder coated half and baked it, turned it around and did the other half. Worked great.
My .02
Go for it!
Henry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links