Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gmh Gideon Hertzberger
Delft, Nederland, Netherlands   NLD
Hi guys,

I think this must be one of my first posts.
At the moment I am doing a restoration on a MGA mk1 1960 (yellow, extremly yellow) . I have fitted a MGB 5-bearing with a Peter Burgess fast roed head and went over board with the 5-speed Sierra conversion.

I am at the point of starting body work, so I am looking for a color. As we probably all know MG does not have too many colors to choose from. Therefore my eye caught the Australian Katoomba Grey.

I would like to ask my paintshop to a sample of this color, to make the final decision. Unfortunately, we cannot find the correct color code to make the color.

What I know so far:

Katoomba Grey (Wangara)
Dulux 00434
MG A mk2 1960-1962 in Australia

Who can help me with a code so my paintshop can actually make the paint? They are looking for a code starting with GN.

Hope to get an answer, so I can finally get my car painted!

Thanks.

Gideon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG-20170423-WA0004.jpeg    31.4 KB
IMG-20170423-WA0004.jpeg

Rotaglide Avatar
Rotaglide Gold Member Eric Z
Kressbronn, BW, Germany   DEU
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Zoey"
From Wikipedia:

The colours used by BMC Australia were different from those used by the parent company in the UK. Balm Paints became Dulux and around 1999 Dulux sold their Automotive and Refinish paint sections to PPG. Each of the colours has a numeric code associated with it, by adding a preceding zero to a code, that code is still recognised by PPG distributors.

Hope this helps.

Genomic Location for MGA Gene:

Chromosome:15
Start:41,621,224 bp from pter
End:41,773,081 bp from pter
Size:151,858 bases
Orientation: Plus strand

Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
A late answer but I was busy doing my 1972 MG Midget restoration and precisely I painted "Katoomba Grey" and it looks awesome, it really stands out of the crowd!!!

Fig72

Mr. Fig
FIG72

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Summer in, CT, USA   USA
See attached link to Barney's site; it has the paint code as well as a photo of a "Katoomba Gray" MGA. Paint chip chart attached as well.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt105a.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 07:49 AM by copernicus.

Attachments:
Paint_chart.jpg    51.1 KB
Paint_chart.jpg

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Once again, the "Guru" comes through to the rescue!! (*Always check Barney's site! The answer is almost always there somewhere. )

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Having observed a car finished in Katoomba Grey, someone once asked, "When are you going to paint it?

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Gideon,

Wonderful choice in colour in my book. As ex Navy I saw and painted a lot of Navy Gray. It seem to stick with me and I tend to paint all my machinery that color. I thought I was about the only person that did this till I started seeing the same color being paint on other shop machinery by ex military.

Guess it get into ones blood. And it sure beats red. (Why run with the crowd when you can soar above everyone else?)

John

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Back in the day I painted 2 TDs Dove grey..

Gary

Attachments:
Picture 481.jpg    54.2 KB
Picture 481.jpg

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Nice. Too light for Katoomba but I like it! In my not so humble opinion, the MG Car Co. made an error in not offering the TD with wire wheels! It just works!

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
In reply to # 3696435 by barneymg Having observed a car finished in Katoomba Grey, someone once asked, "When are you going to paint it?

Barney, I think I may have been the one who told you that, a few years back. The comment was made by Peter and John Fogarty, twin brothers who were both BMC (Australia) employees when they were teasing a mate with a Katoomba Grey car. They did their apprenticeships at BMC as fitters and turners.
Peter in his seventies still does precision head and other work such as TC and MGY supercharger conversions.
Attached for your possible interest is Peter's supercharged MGY. The young guys get incredibly excited watching Peter hoon up Hill Climbs in his lil' ole Y.

Also attached, my MGA dashboard, still in its original Katoomba Grey, and an MGB (re)painted in Katoomba Grey.

I've now located someone who will arrange for my MGA dashboard to be scanned to identify a colour code. He will do this for me when he returns from holidays, and I'll post the results here in due course.

Attachments:
PA180012.jpg    52.6 KB
PA180012.jpg

PA180011.jpg    60.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
PA180013.jpg    56.3 KB
PA180014.jpg    63 KB
IMG_1691.jpg    74.6 KB
IMG_1126.jpg    65.1 KB
IMG_1127.jpg    63.3 KB
wally Ian Cowen
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
I anticipated that this subject would attract imput from my freind---Tom Aczel---who happens to live quite close to Katoomba--in the Blue Mountains of N.S.W. -- some 65 miles West of Sydney, the Capital of N.S.W.
He is a learnered MG A advicate, of great note.
The tag--Katoomba Grey---no doubt reflects the weather at Katoomba, during the 50`s and 60`s.
Grey---dismal--- misty--- rainy---cold---most unsociable. Unpredictable. And Bush-Fire prone.
I well know this area--since I was born some 28 miles away---some 82 years, ago.
In Australia, the MG Flaturnaty conduct an annual event in different States, each Easter.
This year---Its Tasmania----A challenge look up your Atlases!!
The 1974 event was about the first, and centered on Katoomba.
But, some years years after MG A model release.
It was wet---Foggy--- Cold --- Awfull!
The cite was the verge of an old Road Racing Circuit, at Katoomba. And its conduct was rather amatureish, too.
Two, genuine K3 Models, stole the show. WOW!
Since these times, the events have become very professionally run. Computers no doubt assisting their smooth conduct.
AAgh---The days of the beginnings of these events in Australia.
And no doubt there are foundation days to recall, in Nth., America, too!
Of course, England was already well established with regular MG events.

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
Ian, the racing circuit you refer to was the Catalina circuit.

sirrombi Avatar
sirrombi Ian Morris
Tugun, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1958 MG MGA
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt142.htm

The pic of the car shown at the top of the Katoomba Grey section was taken my me. The car is/was original and had just been retrieved from many years of storage. It is a true representation of the colour. The other pics shown were used in its advert for sale, and are too blue.

Figman123 Avatar
Figman123 Silver Member Herivan Figueroa
Harvest, AL, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "FIG72"
Here is my little Katoomba Grey..

Mr. Fig
FIG72

Attachments:
IMG_3047.JPG    46 KB
IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG    48.2 KB
IMG_3046.JPG    46.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster