AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Raulgarci Avatar
Raulgarci Raul Garcia
Tijuana, B.C., Mexico   MEX
1958 MG MGA
1960 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
I can't prove it but under the luggage and coconuts shown on the picture of my ID there is an AMCO luggage rack that I bought specifically for my trip from San Diego to Mexico City in 1967.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RobM Avatar
RobM Robert McMillin
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I thought about adding a rack and also about getting a second trunk lid for it because I liked the original look without the rack.
In the end I decided on an alternative to the rack. A saddlebag instead (about the size of a large duffle) connects to the top hooks and the lift-a-dots.
I'll be testing it out in the spring and using it on the trip south to Solvang for GT-42.

Rob

Attachments:
File_000.jpeg    26.5 KB
File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg    27.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
File_002.jpeg    33.3 KB
File_003.jpeg    36 KB
Trog Avatar
Trog JJ Lad
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3446360 by RobM I thought about adding a rack and also about getting a second trunk lid for it because I liked the original look without the rack.
In the end I decided on an alternative to the rack. A saddlebag instead (about the size of a large duffle) connects to the top hooks and the lift-a-dots.
I'll be testing it out in the spring and using it on the trip south to Solvang for GT-42.

Rob

That's a brilliant idea! You win the Internet today

'91 Westfield Seven
'60 MGA Roadster - Sold
'53 Harley Panhead FL
'84 Porsche 911 TLC - Sold

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Ok....now that's cool. Excellent use of space, period look, and accessible from the cockpit. Brilliant.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3446360 by RobM I thought about adding a rack and also about getting a second trunk lid for it because I liked the original look without the rack.

Rob

Nice Idea and I do like it. It will also be a nice wind blocker. But what's going to keep it from scratching the paint will on the vehicle? Is there some type of felt on the bottom?

John

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, WA, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
"But what's going to keep it from scratching the paint will on the vehicle?"

It will scratch the paint, flopping around in the wind.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

RobM Avatar
RobM Robert McMillin
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Whether the bag scratches the car will, I think, be more of a human issue than of the bag itself. The leather is that soft oil permiated type that you often see on motorcycle chaps ( good weather resistance) but if you toss the bag on the ground and then on the car ( without giving it a quick brush off) then whatever debrise you pick up could scratch the car.
As for flapping around; as you can see from this last picture, the bag is held down by pockets for the almond shaped top hooks. I've been careful not to put buckles or metal on the outside of the bag.
Guess I'll just have to test it out, once the snow melts. I'm pretty confident.

Attachments:
BagUnderside.jpeg    26.2 KB
BagUnderside.jpeg

Rob Z Avatar
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Sounds like latigo. Very soft and oily. Also very strong. Used on saddles for rigging and cincha straps.

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
So, you're going on a long road trip with no provision for a convertible top?

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

RobM Avatar
RobM Robert McMillin
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
What? There's a top?

Oh, you mean all that material and plastic window wrapped up with metal tubes, behind the seats. smiling smiley

Coincidentally, when the top is up, the bag can occupy that (now vacant) space. A simple swap.

Now, if i can just figure out how to get the top up and assebled fast enough to make a difference when i get caught out in it, l'd be set.

Cheers,
Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 07:58 PM by RobM.

Rob Z Avatar
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
How to get the top up? See here;
http://random-writings.com/web_documents/erecting_the_hood.pdf

In reply to # 3447697 by RobM What? There's a top?

Oh, you mean all that material and plastic window wrapped up with metal tubes, behind the seats. smiling smiley

Coincidentally, when the top is up, the bag can occupy that (now vacant) space. A simple swap.

Now, if i can just figure out how to get the top up and assebled fast enough to make a difference when i get caught out in it, l'd be set.

Cheers,
Rob

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
1984 Chevrolet Corvette "Goldilocks"
in the midst of restoring my 56 MGA and in need fo old style Amco rack, do you still have yours...? My trunk lid holes are 24 wise and 17 high ( both center to center on the holes )...

hope all is well there ( another nasty N'oreaster snowstorm here tonight.....

Cheers,

Geoff Bird

Attachments:
16265193_10155016464879275_3001365895323016450_n.jpg    42.1 KB
16265193_10155016464879275_3001365895323016450_n.jpg

16298915_10155016464874275_3647980202985932201_n.jpg    45.4 KB
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
My advise is repair the deck lid properly. Weld up the holes and get rid of the amco rack. They are a poor design. The thin aluminum can’t support enough weight to make the ugly thing useful. I have one on my red car and wish I had fixed it before I painted it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links