Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Trog Avatar
Trog JJ Lad
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
Is anyone aware of a US based supplier of AMCO style luggage racks? There are a couple of sources in the UK, but shipping costs to Canada are pretty high.

'91 Westfield Seven
'60 MGA Roadster - Sold
'53 Harley Panhead FL
'84 Porsche 911 TLC - Sold

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0530.JPG    22.4 KB
IMG_0530.JPG

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Thomas C
Kingston, MA, USA   USA
If you have no luck in locating a current dealer, there's always the secondary market. Hit the internet for your search, the old AMCO racks are always turning up and almost new condition.

Just be sure to measure the area where it will be going, these racks came in a lot of different sizes. The ones meant for ta Mustang or TR7 are not gonna fit a TR6 and so on . . .

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, WA, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Got both from eBay. Both wide and bolt straight thru the boot lid, no bent feet.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6650s.jpg    49.5 KB
IMG_6650s.jpg

161. Car Show Coupe Snyder 7-24-07.jpg    65.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Thomas C
Kingston, MA, USA   USA
"Got both from eBay."

And they both look terrific ! Loads of folks are now against luggage racks as the cars become worth more and more each year. The racks either interrupt the original design or ruin a somewhat rare trunk lid. I'm firmly in the, "What's a British car without a sweet luggage rack ? ! ? ! " camp.

Just love them, think that they add so much to a British car, and a great place to strap down a picnic basket or old suitcase. I have three AMCO racks and am always on the look-out for more whenever I'm at a swap meet. The mounting "feet" are becoming scarce, but angle cut and drilled aluminum rod works pretty well instead.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, WA, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
"... and a great place to strap down a picnic basket or old suitcase."

We travel for long periods with the MGA Coupe and the MGB roadster, like on Gary's Run and the NAMGAR GTs. The luggage rack supports the steamer trunk holding her hair dryer et al, whisky bottle, lots of clean clothes, things we purchase while traveling, and it goes easily into the hotel rooms. Often times for a picnic the folding chairs are strapped on.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

Attachments:
Folding chairs.jpg    43.7 KB
Folding chairs.jpg

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
JJ
Not Amco style however may present an option for you.

There is a removable rack available made by Securon Surco that has the feature of not requiring to drill your boot lid. cool smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 03:46 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
rack_clip.jpg    56.5 KB
rack_clip.jpg

Trog Avatar
Trog JJ Lad
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3445484 by riley1489 JJ
Not Amco style however may present an option for you.

There is a removable rack available made by Securon that has the feature of not requiring to drill your boot lid. cool smiley

B

That's a nice option, but I should note that my boot had been drilled by the PO.

'91 Westfield Seven
'60 MGA Roadster - Sold
'53 Harley Panhead FL
'84 Porsche 911 TLC - Sold

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
My lid was drill for a rack and evidently had a rack for years. When the car was painted they did not bother to straighten the bent boot lid. If you put too much weight on a Amoco style rack it will bend the lid...

Gary

garyd Avatar
garyd Gold Member Gary Dabrowski
Naugatuck, western Connecticut, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Long Gone"
1974 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
Bruce;

Do you have a link to a manufactuers site for the Securon rack?

Member Services:
Maker of BHH558 carb and choke bracket for MGB cars fitted with the SU HIF4 carb & later car HIF4 upgrades and the highly regarded Air Filter Builder’s Kit, a compact and stylish alternative to Coopers Cans using economical paper filter elements.
dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, WA, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
"If you put too much weight on a Amoco style rack it will bend the lid.."

The way to carry a lot of weight on the AMCO luggage rack is to place the rack feet over the underlying boot lid reinforcements, not on the non-reinforced sheet metal areas. The MGA photo shows the rack feet fastened directly over the perimeter boot lid reinforcement, and closed the boot lid weight is resting on the rear body cowling. On the MGB the luggage rack is fastened to the center of the underlying boot lid reinforcement.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

Attachments:
MGA luggage rack feet placement.jpg    56.1 KB
MGA luggage rack feet placement.jpg

MGB Luggage rack placement.jpg    50.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gary E Avatar
Have the wide rack for the A and it bent the lid. The bolt holes are close to the edge.
Of course he may have carried his mother in law on the rack....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 03:29 PM by Gary E.

Attachments:
Picture 435 (2).jpg    15.7 KB
Picture 435 (2).jpg

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3445546 by garyd Bruce;

Do you have a link to a manufactures site for the Securon rack?

Hi Gary
My apologies for the bum steer. I must have been thinking seat belts, or whatever. confused smiley

The name of the firm that makes this luggage rack is SURCO not as I posted earlier, (corrected). I believe the size that fits the B is for that Mazda 2 seater look alike.

Once again sorry.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Gary E Avatar
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
If anyone is interested I got one I don't need.

John

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Thomas C
Kingston, MA, USA   USA
If you already have the holes drilled in the MGA trunk for the AMCO rack and you're worried about bending the aluminum skin, you could always try to mimic the metal load straps on the racks sold here:

http://www.classicbootracks.co.uk/products/the-permanent-range/the-traditional-style

A couple of 2" wide lengths of aluminum flat stock, cut to fit and drilled to facilitate the rack and previously drilled holes would work very well in spreading the load. Glue a couple of leather belts on the bottom side of the aluminum flat stock to act as cushions against the trunk lid and you're good to go.

The classic AMCO rack with the additional load protection of the racks sold by Classic Racks. A double dose of classic for your classic car . . . OK, make that a triple measure unless you wear one of those classic plaid caps while driving the car, then you're into it for a quad classic—unless, of course, if you also wear classic lace back driving gloves, then . . . .

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster