This topic is about my 1959 MG MGA 1600
joerberg Avatar
joerberg Silver Member Joe A
Hoosick Falls, NY, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1600
1963 MG MGB
1965 MG MGB
1967 Ford Fairlane    & more
I've turned the corner and I'm actually starting to put parts back on the car instead of taking them off. I'm going to be replacing all the brake lines and I've got the standard American tools for flaring the ends. I've noticed that the brake lines that came off the car have these hemispherical shaped ends on them. Are there special tools for this? Will the fittings accept the American style flares?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
1979 MG MGB
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
I did all my flares and used what they call a Bubble flare. It is actually the first part of a double flare but since I actually have a bubble flare kit I used that. I did mine in Copper/Nickle and they all came out great. I had to reuse some of my old fittings as my a few of my lines had a really weird thread. But it was not that bad. Just blasted them and then re-plated them. When putting the flare on I used a bit of silicone brake grease on the flare part as it made the tool rotate a bit better for the flare part and not try to twist it.
Also in rebending my lines I used zip ties along the length to hold the shape.. pics attached.

Attachments:
PC070030.JPG    40.9 KB
PC070030.JPG

PC070029.JPG    47.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Hyd and Fuel lines done..jpg    33.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
From Moss. As I recall, the modern "universal" flare will work with just about any other type of flare receiver of a similar size as it was developed for this purpose. There are plenty of discussions on this on the 'net.

Flares explained

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 08:35 AM by Mitchman2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Never could get a proper bubble flare with the 3 flaring tools I had.

Another member here was having the same trouble. He bought and recommended a K-Tool flaring tool.

They are not cheap. Very good investment though (considering it's what stops the car). Think I found the cheapest price on Amazon but that was at least a year ago.

It's really easy to make great bubble flares but is recommended that it be mounted in a vice. I've used it with a monster size adjustable wrench under the hood of a truck on another repair and that worked fine too.

Although a bad picture the flare on the left is with standard flaring tools and the one on the right is the K-Tool flare.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 11:03 AM by Tbird.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
Yes you can make them you need the ISO bubble flair tool and this is one area a quality tool makes the difference. on this car I treated myself and purchased a premade kit cut to length.

Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
When it comes to restoration, it's great to do all the work you can on your MGA, but why mess with a critical component?

My recommendation is to remove the respective brake and clutch lines and measure their lengths without bending or straightening their lengths.

To do this, I taped string (or wire ties) along the lengths and then removed the string (wire ties) and measured the string lengths.

Once I had this information, I brought the brake/clutch lines to my local brake shop where they in turn removed the fittings (or use new ones from the shop of choice) for reuse and made new lines based on the lengths provided with the proper flare fitting professionally installed.

Once home all I had to do was to duplicate the bends.

The final cost was extremely reasonable added with the peace of mind that it was done right.

My $.02

Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 11:34 AM by Don MGA 1600.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
with the exception of this car I have always made my own lines, it takes time you can usually buy the line pre made with both ends terminated so you just have to cut it to length and reuse the fitting on the end you cut. but after having used the premade lines that was cut to length I have been converted. I like making stuff but I considered the kit a treat

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
this would get you started nicely making high quality brake lines, add the 37* flaring cone kit to this and you would be able to make just about any flare needed on a car that I can think of. you would need to double check the size of the bubble flares for MG's I don't recall them off the top of my head

http://www.mastercool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/71475-flier.pdf

pb414359 peter b
gold coast, queensland, Australia   AUS
Having read what seems like every brake and fuel line forum on this site as well as Barney, Fedhill. and anything else i could glean on the world wide web !

I came upon these two web pages which a lovely lady by the name of Rupunzell / Bernice Loui wrote in reply to a question on bubble or din flares.

Make sure you read both pages because it is absolute gold .

This lady has a sharp mind and knows her apples and flares.

Am very interested in member opinions. Flares

Peter B.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
she does a nice job explaining the different types of flared ends.....use the right flare for you application.

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
I purchased the Eastwood tool, same as the one Taylor pictured above.

Here my first practice attempt at a bubble flair, single step process, and nearly impossible to mess it up.

It was sort of expensive but weight it against the cost of pre-made tubing and its a lifetime tool.

Attachments:
IMG_2086.JPG    28.1 KB
IMG_2086.JPG

bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
1979 MG MGB
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
John, Looks like a double flare to me.. should have a bubble on top.

JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Ron, you're right. Its been awhile since I did the brakes.

I DO have the correct flair on the car, and they do look like a bubble.

I just went to the garage and took a few pictures of some attempts that were still sitting in the box. My mistake. It is a nice tool and I seem to recall the bubble flair as a single step process. The flair above was an attempt at a double flair.

John

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JOHN: I also have the Eastwood Tool. "WORKS PERFECT", after using the "Horseshoe" design one for years, I borrowed a
SNAP ON ONE, also worked great. If a person is only going to do their car, and it is not a SHOP investment. Buy the Pre-made set. A LOT EASIER.

Member Services:
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
I din't want to confuse anyone by showing the wrong flair, so went back and found that practice piece.

On the other end was my first attempt at a proper Bubble flare.

Attachments:
IMG_2089.jpg    27.7 KB
IMG_2089.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster