AutoShrine Sponsor

MGACharlie Avatar
MGACharlie Silver Member Charlie Adams
Fairfax Station, VA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII
1955 MG TF
1962 MG MGA MkII "Red"
Peter,

Congradualtions! Your garage looks terrific with the pair.

Charlie

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Springtime in, CT, USA   USA
Its been raining for several days now, and it appears that it will continue to do so for the next 3-4 days. Feeling a bit itchy to do something, anything on the car, I decided to replace my coolant overflow bottle. Yes, I know that its not original, but I've had it on the car for years and it does the job. Reason for the replacement is that I was never very happy with the plastic, modern appearance of the original container. I looked at a few other A's which had overflow bottles and spent some time checking out the aftermarket units, but I wasn't thrilled with the designs or the chrome/stainless/plastic construction. I ultimately decided to use an old MGB bottle I had lying around, cleaned it up, added a blanking cap and completed the install; looks correct for the car. Still need to get some silicone overflow hose and finalize the routing, but the change-out is basically done.

Attachments:
overflow orig..JPG    36.6 KB
overflow orig..JPG

overflow new.JPG    50.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Interesting, and yes, it does look better!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Tried to get the dash out of the car, OMG everything is a project.......still hanging in the car, will attack it again tomorrow, too frustrated to continue. Disconnected Tach, Speedo, all the screws, the damn heater, old positive ground radio ( lol still works but just am old Motorola ) oil line and now damn water line to temp gauge not cooperating and every wire would appear to be frozen on, how to the knobs come out, haven't solved that little mystery yet, is the big nut on the back of each switch.....?? Don't the chrome bezels come off somehow.....??

cheers,

Geoff

Attachments:
dash removal.jpg    53.1 KB
dash removal.jpg

wce1980 Cody E
Vicksburg, MS, USA   USA
If my memory serves me correctly, there is a little button on the side of the knob that you pop in with a very small screw driver and it releases the knob. On the gauges, I believe they slide out the front of the dash with the bezel still attached. I hope this helps.

human Avatar
human Hugh Coleman
Boyce, LA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
1959 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB
Chrome stays on the instrument. The knobs have a screw or push button some of the
push buttons might be frozen and some WD40 will have to come into play. Take your time
and take lots of pictures if your memory is as bad as mine smiling smiley

Just wait until you get to the defrost ducts and the wipers you will need a Prozac, Xanax, and
a joint to make it thru make sure you have a glass of Makers Mark ready for the end of it winking smiley

Hugh

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
In reply to # 3738056 by wce1980 If my memory serves me correctly, there is a little button on the side of the knob that you pop in with a very small screw driver and it releases the knob. On the gauges, I believe they slide out the front of the dash with the bezel still attached. I hope this helps.

Geoff, there is a button on the switches that you push in and pull off the knobs; this is true with the exception of the starter and choke knobs. These two have a large nut on the back of the dash; the other switches have a chrome nut/bezel on the front of the dash. There is a tool that will easily unscrew them, or you can use a screwdriver or pliers, but use of these may damage the bezels. I've attached a link to a tool you can make to push those buttons in; also I've attached a photo of the tool used to unscrew the front nuts. Moss has them and you can probably find them on ebay or with other vendors.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts213.htm

Attachments:
384-960pic1_19.jpg    13.1 KB
384-960pic1_19.jpg

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Bought it!smiling bouncing smiley
1962 MkII
Brian

DanielR Avatar
DanielR Gold Member Daniel Ross
Park City, UT, USA   USA
Congratulations Brian
Pictures will be great.
(I have a 1962 Mkll in need of full restoration)

In reply to # 3738270 by Woodysrods Bought it!smiling bouncing smiley
1962 MkII
Brian

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3738280 by DanielR Congratulations Brian
Pictures will be great.
(I have a 1962 Mkll in need of full restoration)
The one I bought also needs complete restoration, and is currently "completely disassembled" and in boxes.
I bought it sight unseen!eye rolling smiley
But on the bright side, I have been building cars for 51 years, and have owned and operated a professional restoration shop for the past 24 years.
We will see where tis project will go when I get it home later this summer.
Brian

DanielR Avatar
DanielR Gold Member Daniel Ross
Park City, UT, USA   USA
Brian, in that case it is great you chose a MGA, will follow your approach and progress with interest

RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
My 62 MK11 was totally disassembled when I bought it also. The previous owner had disassembled it in 1972. It had been stored in a geodesic dome until I bought it. He was a customer of my auto repair shop and first showed me the car in 1985 when he saw my A. Years later his wife insisted it had to go and he offered it to me. At $1500 in 1994 it was the most expensive MGA I have ever bought.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
In reply to # 3738999 by RJBrown My 62 MK11 was totally disassembled when I bought it also...................

Ditto here: No engine or trans, wires pulled, no fenders or interior, no floorboards and only 3 wheels; seems to be somewhat of a common theme with A's.

Attachments:
orig.JPG    43.7 KB
orig.JPG

rockhigher Avatar
rockhigher Geoff B
Atkinson, NH, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA
Inner body looks a helluva lot better than mine lol....hope the rebuild goes well for you...

Cheers,

Geoff

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
This weekend was GGOOF Gathering of Ohio Faithful. On the tour around Bucyrus , we went through the copper works, Crazy Fox Saloon (One of Al Capone's hideouts) The Shawshank Redemption prison woodworkshop and a great poker run.

Attachments:
GGOF May 18,2018 022.JPG    45 KB
GGOF May 18,2018 022.JPG

GGOF May 18,2018 049.JPG    53.9 KB
GGOF May 18,2018 051.JPG    36.4 KB
GGOF May 18,2018 005.JPG    34.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster