AutoShrine Sponsor

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Thanks for the advice Bob.
Beautiful work on the car...

Dave
"WTF?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
thanks

remember the goal here is no new holes and it has to be completely independent of the new wiring harness

so this goes through the grommet for the capillary pipe and is wrapped in tape and through a plastic tubing inside of the grommet

the routing through the engine compartment, using an existing hole for the bracket

wire tie to keep it nice and tight

and it pops out the front near the other looms

and where the hook up will happen

and i think the MGA is marking its territory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 05:25 PM by bobs77vet.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
spent 90 minutes tying everything together and we have lights....i still need another feet of wire loom and to zip tie every thing nice and neat

where you have a union and connections you can use a larger section of loom to put everything in and then it gets tucked up nice and tight to the inside of the fender

and i have light its pretty awesome these puppies are pretty bright

and the switch even liiuminates when it is turned on

later today after i get the extra loom wire i will finish the job!

now to design and make a custom made tow ring for one of the front brackets

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
and done with tying up the wire loom

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
mid 40s and sunny outside , time to take the car out of hibernation.....around here a 25 minute drive is only about 5 miles. this area really sucks for classic cars

those wheel dollies really work well

heres the final finished photos of the front lights

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 11:50 AM by bobs77vet.

watsonrx13 Rob Watson
Plant City, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Very well done Bob.

--- Rob

nchokie Avatar
nchokie R.D. Williams
Clewiston, FL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Looks very sharp Bob.

R.D. Williams

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
every once in a while you still have to see if you have a set of brass balls.....i wasnt happy with how the clear coat was sitting on this fender, only on this fender over time it started developing this checking as the paint/clear coat continued to dry , my supposition was i shot it too heavy and maybe there wasnt enough set up time it was only in certain spots on the fender. so i wanted to let dry for a really long time before i addressed it and today was a manhood check

i sanded it with 180, 400 and 600 grit on an electric orbital sander

then i buffed it with a wool pad

and my supposition was right...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-25 02:16 PM by bobs77vet.

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Looks good Bob.
What causes those irregularities you had to "ball-up" for?
If you haven't guessed...I'm not a painter!

Dave
"WTF?"

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Please describe how you felt when you first touched that 180 grit sandpaper to the painted surface. I don't know if I would have been able to do it. But now it looks even gooder than before!

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-24 03:13 PM by ghnl.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
it was a test of my manhood for sure....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-24 03:17 PM by bobs77vet.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
In reply to # 3703516 by Zur Looks good Bob.
What causes those irregularities you had to "ball-up" for?
If you haven't guessed...I'm not a painter!

this type of checking or veining can be caused by dissimilar products being applied over each other.....i am pretty anal about making sure i avoid this by using all the same products and product line. and in the 7 or 8 cars i have painted i have never had this problem so i didnt think that was the issue. remember i painted the car out side in my back yard so i had lots of things that could have screwed with me and temperature, humidity come to mind as well as the human factor of waiting for set up time and then how much paint i put down clear coat in this instance.

since the issue only happened in one spot, on one fender i was pretty sure it was an application issue. i did apply many many coats of the clear coat so i could wet sand. thats why i was able to use 180grit paper on an orbital electric sander. and i just sanded the clear coat until the checking went away. then moved up to 400 and then 600.

as Eric noted it took a lot balls to do this becasue once you started you were committed......but in any event the fender needed to be sanded to make it right and i was prepared to take it off the car and repaint it to make it right so i just dug in and lucked out

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-24 10:18 PM by bobs77vet.

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
"All's well that ends well!" It looks great and I'm sure that you're relieved that that little problem is solved!

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
If you want to come up to lime rock for the vintage festival, I suspect that I could get you a pass to park in the paddock as a "special interest car". smileys with beer

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
Jeff thanks, my youngest son is getting married in early September and I dont think i can make it , it would sure be a blast though. are you coming down to Summit Point at all this year?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster