AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3755277 by Maalfonso12 At the first rebuild that all was previously done.

In reply to # 3755262 by Basil Adams Lots of good ideas but I'd guess that the crank is bent - or cracked. It's time to do more than replace bearings and measure journals. Pull the crank and have it professionally checked for straightness. And while it's out, clean out the block. Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

To state the obvious, obviously something was missed. You need some fresh eyes taking a look.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tigger00 Avatar
tigger00 Rick O
Creedmoor, NC, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Queenie"
I would also suggest checking the oil passage in the crank itself.
Running a piece of wire or something like it through the passages may offer a reason for this problem.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3755277 by Maalfonso12 At the first rebuild that all was previously done.

In reply to # 3755262 by Basil Adams Lots of good ideas but I'd guess that the crank is bent - or cracked. It's time to do more than replace bearings and measure journals. Pull the crank and have it professionally checked for straightness. And while it's out, clean out the block. Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Yeah, but that was then, once you had the first bearing failure it is time to do all of that over again, this is not something you can fix without a complete teardown. I agree with Basil I think you probably have crank issue. It's hard to have a knock without crank damage, and this point, regardless of issue found, the block has to properly cleaned,and I would replace the oil cooler if you have one and completely clean ever oil line internally.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster