MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Upgraded SU Carb Heat Shield Suggestions Needed ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
I need help ! My heat shield looks horrible ! Any suggestions on improvements to it would be appreciated...thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mg challenged Avatar
mg challenged Silver Member Joe Williams
Dana Point, CA, USA   USA
1963 Elva Courier "Project"
Remove it, straighten it, strip it, and either paint it or have it powder coated. Get new heat insulators also.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I cut a piece of aluminum matching the shield and pop riveted it with washer spacers on the back side. More efficient that the asbestos they used.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
You know...this topic of insulation for heat shield refurbishment has been discussed many times. Don't know if its in the Library but an advanced search (which searches archives) will yield lots, including many pics.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Was interested if anyone had used something other than aluminum for shield, aluminum gets hot quickly, something that would radiate heat away from carbs completely.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Many of us have one of these and there's many discussions on here about them.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 07:19 PM by MGB567.

jimandcassdavis Avatar
jimandcassdavis Silver Member Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Paul Copeland in the UK sells new stainless steel laser cut heat shields
Very high quality
paul.7@ntlworld.com

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Many different approaches.

Attachments:
HIF4 Heat Shield 001.JPG    45.6 KB
HIF4 Heat Shield 001.JPG

jimandcassdavis Avatar
jimandcassdavis Silver Member Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Delivered to US was about $60.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
I was told SS transfers heat , not radiate away ?

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
aussiejohn Avatar
aussiejohn John Potter
Victoria, Australia   AUS
I will agree with Barrie #8. I run a polished stainless heatshield and have had no problems in the very hot conditions where I live.

It works well, looks good and is easy to keep clean.

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
I cleaned and painted mine with silver high heat pain. and intend to install header wrap on the back side. I think Dick Morris suggested this a while back.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Paul's heat shield I linked in #6 sits on top of the phenolic spacers so if stainless transfers heat then it's further away from the manifold than a stock heat shield. You don't have to buy it but you did ask for an "upgraded SU carb heat shield suggestion". He does one for HS and HIF.

FWIW I added small heat shields either end of the head as in intense heat and stopped in traffic I suffered vapor lock. I don't believe that happened because of Paul's heat shield rather the conditions I found myself in. Since doing so no further vapor lock.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-14 04:26 AM by MGB567.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Stainless steel holds heat longer and faster than steel. It's very anti corrosive. A very abrasive metal to machine or grind. I would stay with the stock heat shield like Dick recommends and give a good cleaning and hit it with some high heat spray paint of your choice or powder coat it. People choose stainless so it doesn't rust.

"Be yourself, because everybody else is already taken". - Oscar Wilde.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" - Phineas Quimby.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links