AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lynngarner LYNN GARNER
El Paso, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Head comes back from the machine shop tomorrow. Payen gasket going in. I'm looking for any tips or thoughts about initial re-alignment so I don't go scrubbing the gasket or the head around while trying to align everything. Do I start two studs diagonally lengthwise, or are there better ways to do this? Don't want to have to repeat this exercise. Thanks. lg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
TWO short ones / Same side / Front and Rear. Watch your fingers, it hurts. smileys with beer

Member Services:
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I install all of the studs(if removed) prior to installation. I also install the heater valve and T-stat housing as well. I grab the old smog pump bracket attached to the housing and the rear of the head then simply set it straight down on all of the studs. Don't worry about doing any damage unless you're really wrestling with it on top of the studs. I install it from the passenger side and use a small step stool to allow me to get over the middle of the engine a bit better.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
I’ve always installed the head with all the studs in place. When the engines were assembled in the factory (Morris Engines, Courthouse Green, Coventry) the studs were fitted to the block and then used as used as a guide to assemble the rest.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3754764 by Chalky I’ve always installed the head with all the studs in place. When the engines were assembled in the factory (Morris Engines, Courthouse Green, Coventry) the studs were fitted to the block and then used as used as a guide to assemble the rest.

Yep, and to add to that. The center stud hole on the spark plug side of the cylinder head is smaller in ID than the rest of stud holes in the head, and it aligns the head on to the block. I simply hold the head at the frornt and rear, and carefully lower it down on the studs to the block.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 04:58 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
lynngarner LYNN GARNER
El Paso, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Thanks to each of you for your responses.

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Studs in first, hand tight only. Then the gasket. I find it most convenient to fit the head from the driver's/left side, over the four tall head studs that protrude through the rocker arm pedestals. The rest then pass through easily.

When re-fitting the rocker arm assembly, be extra sure that all of the rocker arm balls are seated in the tops of their respective push rods. It's easy for one of the balls to catch on the edge of the push rod cup, and that will present problems when tightening down the rocker assembly...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Just finished up a head gasket change a few days ago.

Like others, I install all the studs, set the head gasket down, and then set the head down on them. If the Tstat housing is in place, it's a good place to grab but otherwise just holding it at either end is fine.

Like James, I like having the heater valve in place. The bottom bolt is a real bugger to get tight in place, but it's easy with the head off or engine out.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster