AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Gonna make me one of those marking tools! Actually, for $6 I just ordered one.

Not self taping, standard sheet metal but the washer is much smaller than the generic ones, so if that matters, order them from Moss.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Geez Scott...

I thought everyone knew about hole finders!!! LOL...

Must be the aviation mechanic in my blood. smileys with beer

You will love using it. No more guessing and then cussing because you were wrong!!

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Can you explain the use of this tool further

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Slips over the top panel. Nub on back slips into the hidden hole and the bushing on top aligns you bit exactly.

Nope, never seen one. I ordered the #40 so it will fit the holes and will redrill larger holes in the door card. I know I should have followed by B-I-L to Oshkosh a few years back.

tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
Hayesville, NC, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
Find the hole with the protruding male stud. Slide whatever material between the "yoke" strike the plunger, the new material now has a indentation where the hole needs to be.

Best regards,
Ted

Tri-County British Car Club
Young Harris, GA

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.

Benjamin Franklin

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Jack,

The tool is normally used for sheetmetal repairs (riveted panels) where there is only access to one side of the material. No way to "find the hole" for the rivets in the patch being applied...

The tool is slipped between the two sheets of metal until the little tip drops into the existing hole. Then the mechanic drills the new hole for the rivet using the guide in the tool. There are different sized hole finders for different sized rivets.

In reply to # 3754923 by tampaguy Can you explain the use of this tool further

Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Thanks Chris. That's brilliant.

You just saved me a bunch of time fooling around trying to come up with a tool that would do just that.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
This may be unorthodox, but I generally run an 8-32 or 10-32 tap through the holes(whichever is the closest fit) and then put in the matching machine screw.

As has been indicated, though, "self tapping" screws are really only needed for the initial installation and require care when refitting so that you don't cut fresh threads. If I'm not going to tap the hole-as above-I usually replace them with a sheet metal screw with as close of a thread pitch as I can find. If someone has been sloppy with the self tapping screws in the past, you may need to move to a larger diameter-hence why I just go straight to the tap as I mentioned above.

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
Duncan

the majority of black trim screws throughout the car are 3/4" in #8 or #10

course there are some individual ones like door capping, rear cappings (GT), heater hose clips.....

i did exactly what you did and just bought a bag of each.

G

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
In reply to # 3755015 by benhutcherson "self tapping" screws are really only needed for the initial installation and require care when refitting so that you don't cut fresh threads.

The way to fit self tappers, so they don't cut a new thread, is to insert them in the hole, then gently turn them anti clockwise till there is a small clikck, which means the thread has "dropped" into the thread on the hole.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Here's an eBay entry for those screws and washers.

Try scanning around them for other options. Found by searching eBay with MGB trim screws.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323-988-GBK3004-MG-MGB-TRIM-KIT-SCREW-SET/121772239133?hash=item1c5a30e91d:g:60wAAOSwVL1WCLNo

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Works for pretty much ALL threads to stop cross-threading.

In reply to # 3755133 by ozieagle
In reply to # 3755015 by benhutcherson "self tapping" screws are really only needed for the initial installation and require care when refitting so that you don't cut fresh threads.

The way to fit self tappers, so they don't cut a new thread, is to insert them in the hole, then gently turn them anti clockwise till there is a small clikck, which means the thread has "dropped" into the thread on the hole.

Herb

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3755432 by sweep Works for pretty much ALL threads to stop cross-threading.

Yes, I got in the habit of doing that in my model railroading days where screws often directly go into plastic. Regardless of the screw type, cross-threading is a real issue.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Another way is to dump the ugly screws and use modern plastic or metal clips.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WELL Went ahead and made one, just for the “HALIBUT” took more time than it is worth, considering I could have ordered one from Amazon for $10.00 smileys with beer

Member Services:

Attachments:
571B66D2-0629-4A79-8E82-2F869089C9CE.jpeg    35.7 KB
571B66D2-0629-4A79-8E82-2F869089C9CE.jpeg

4A89BAEE-2216-48B7-AAE1-3AB673E00BEB.jpeg    28.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
05FC1CE9-567C-436D-913C-1B6AC9319A6E.jpeg    41 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster