MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Did You Ever Sell A Car Before It Killed You ? Or Tried To.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, OH, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Yes, a Jeep CJ 7. When I bought it the engine was a worn out 258 six with auto trans and 2.73 to 1 gears with 33x12.50 tires. The engine had to go and I had my dirt track engine left over from racing. A 400ci small block Chevy with about 375 HP. It would turn those tall gears and tires in the mud. It threw mud about 30 feet in the air and cut ruts in a grass field 4 inches deep. When you gassed it on pavement, the front end came up so much it was hard to see over the hood and it steered drastically one way on the gas and drastically the other when you let off. The thing went well over 100 mph. I took the engine out so no one could test drive it. Sold the engine and Jeep to the same guy incomplete and with clear conscience.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, IA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
My 1986 Honda CRX SI was a rocket ship cum death trap. Only 150 HP or so but no weight and a 6' wheelbase, that little bastard would turn inside of itself and torque steer would damned near rip the wheel out of your hands. Totally schizophrenic personality, mellow as hell at under 4K RPM and a total demon once the needle passed the 4.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
My second car was a 55 Chevrolet BelAir 2dr Hard Top. After trashing the 265 3 speed I located a 327 backed up with a close ration 4 speed out of a burnt out Corvette. Shortly after watching Two Lane Black Top I rolled in inside The 20Th Century Drive Inn located in Tampa. Body was junk but I turned off the engine before it died too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Only in the future tense,,,, My will keeps my LBCs away from my kids.... don't want them exposed to today's texting drivers......

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

dryden Avatar
dryden Clive Dryden-Chouen
Gloucester, Forest of Dean, UK   GBR
Lotus Europa twin cam ............ Hinted at rear wheel steering at speed, never actually did anything but I never trusted it.

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, IA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
In reply to # 3754346 by dryden Lotus Europa twin cam ............ Hinted at rear wheel steering at speed, never actually did anything but I never trusted it.

A good friend of mine bought a Europa that the previous owner had ground looped and banged up, supposedly on his first drive with the car. Nobody apparently told the guy about the mid engine snap oversteer that cars like the Europa and Porsche 930 are famous for. John put the car back together to use as his driver, he is a smaller fellow so he fit into it well. He says he intentionally bought the cheapest tires he could for it, that way he would hear the squalling well before the back end came around to greet him.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1973 MG MGB GT "Eliza - FIRST PLACE - MG2013"    & more
See the strange looking vehicle in my avatar?

First time I hit it semi hard, it twisted the frame, popped the ladder welds, and unboxed about two feet of frame.

I sold it to a very nice, unsuspecting woman who took it home and finished it. Too much for me.snowflake

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

awest Avatar
awest Gold Member Adam West
Berkshires, MA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Jackie"
Sold my '99 SAAB Viggen for the same reason. Way too much torque steer, even with after-market dampers. 240 bhp to the front wheels invites trouble.... that and being able yo do 100 in 3rd gear was enough for me to move it along.

Adam West

1979 MGB Vermillion Red

B-Fuddled Avatar
B-Fuddled John P
A C, TN, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
'69 Corvette convertible (at 18 years old) with the HO 350 built up, and I realized I could not afford the insurance, the high octane fuel (Sunoco 104 or whatever it was) and the fact that it was geared so that you could wind up 3rd gear and you would be shifting into 4th gear at around 120 mph plus. It was fun when moving but the steering and brakes were not that great and I just kept it for a great summer and then sold it to buy a "milder" Z-28 Camaro. Lotsa fun during those years and it just was too easy to get into trouble (tickets) with it ............

matthewcrone7 Matthew Crone
Bunnell, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1967 MG MGB GT ~ For Sale ! ~
As a professional driver. I can say I never had a car I thought would kill me. I have however had a few semi's i thought would. Or the d.o.t. said they would. The one i miss yhe most . The 1977 359 peterbuilt with the 5 and 4 Quadra plex tranny the custom built Cummins n.t.c. Big cam. Putting out 1600 horse power to the 3:42 rears turning the wheels. Nebraska state trooper clock it at 196 mph grossing 79,800 lbs.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
A 200 mph semi ? Wow ! You win !

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Cars don't kill people. People do...

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
FWD torque steer can definitely be interesting. I also briefly had a 91 CRX Si I got in trade on a jeep I sold. I kind of wish I kept it for a cheap probably bulletproof toy. My GTI has limited slip and torque steer is nearly undetectable. The worst I ever remember was a Probe GT turbo 4. You had better have both hands on the wheel when the boost came on.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster