AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

OldDuffer Avatar
OldDuffer Silver Member John S
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB "Ella B"
1979 MG MGB "Mae B *SOLD*"
Paul

Looks amazing so far and I look forward to watching the progress. Well done!

I was addicted to the hokey pokey but I turned myself around.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I was just noting that in seamlessly integrating the front panels one has to appreciate that the front isn't ever coming off the car - well not without the aid of a cutter. But given that's how the Factory did the rear an integrated front is not as big a step as I first thought.- just a "shooting the breeze" comment. I also deleted the waist strip but kept the waist bump except the first 6" as that didn't sit well with my flare line and frenched in the indicators. Have you got yourself a pair of Roberto's headlight covers?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3751707 by MGB567
Malski I thought you'd be living up to your pseudonym and out there on the slopes rather than in the workshop - or can you walk ski and chew gum at the same time winking smiley

Bazz
At Mt Hotham as I type - no skiable snow yet so enjoying libations in my condo. Melbaver will get the picture!!!
I still get into the garage during winter when I go home regularly to Bright (only an hour away).

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1976 MG MGB "Daphne"
Done yet? Assembled? C’mon, it been 24 hours. Thrash.
Seriously, that looks amazing!! Well done my friend. Better have a good steering wheel for that beauty!!!

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Barrie,

Welding and then shaping the top seam of the front wings was probably the biggest challenge of all the other bodywork combined.... What makes it so hard are the three curves that come together in this area. I spent a lot of time shaping and reshaping until I was finally satisfied. It is not like other areas where you can simply "block sand" to get the right shape. I did all this shaping by touch and sight... I attached a pic to try and highlight this for others.

I attached a picture of the style of lower screw/washer combination I used at the bottom of the wings. Yes, they are welded but I like the look of these fasteners. A little grey overspray shown that will be removed when I get to it... LOL

I also attached a picture of the front end pretty much fully assembled. I did not realize how the H4s would reflect the blue color within the reflectors until I assembled them. I like it...

I have not seen Roberto's covers. Are they Sebring style? Can you show me?

In reply to # 3751838 by MGB567 I was just noting that in seamlessly integrating the front panels one has to appreciate that the front isn't ever coming off the car - well not without the aid of a cutter. But given that's how the Factory did the rear an integrated front is not as big a step as I first thought.- just a "shooting the breeze" comment. I also deleted the waist strip but kept the waist bump except the first 6" as that didn't sit well with my flare line and frenched in the indicators. Have you got yourself a pair of Roberto's headlight covers?

Attachments:
P1010612.JPG    43.4 KB
P1010612.JPG

P1010608.JPG    28 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010609.JPG    49.7 KB
P1010610.JPG    54.7 KB
MGB567 Avatar
"I have not seen Roberto's covers. Are they Sebring style? Can you show me? "

Yes - here. Note he has no attachment devices and seeing you've painted the car you may wish to forgo or come up with something less than I namely I drilled three 1/4" holes in each cover with a corresponding hole in the body and a nut welded for each on the underside.

I'll have to get my guru (he does my welding, and the bodywork I can't manage, for me) to look at the curvature/mating points at the top of the guards as having removed the flitch panel they seem to blend in quite well with the panel in front of the screen.

I'm undecided about putting the gutter trim back on and painting them or leaving them off - the latter requires some work including filling the rivet holes!

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

earlspoint Avatar
earlspoint Richard Earls
OAK HARBOR, WA, USA   USA
Peter, Paul is still a puppy, he has many cars to go! This one is looking very good.

Vietnam Vet 1971-1973

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Now that does look cool ...kudos to you Paul....I will never have that attention to detail with mine , ( other than an engine build etc ) ...but I can certainly respect the thought process.......bit spooked by the potential for tears of emotion with roll over on the hook with using one sling at the rear but it got throught it ok so that's good thumbs up

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Barrie,

Those covers are nice but... I just don't want to drill any more holes in the body than necessary. Thank you very much for sharing though!

I went through the normal grades of wet paper to sand my gutter trims smooth and then polished them on my wheel and added some KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat. It is supposed to be some really good stuff. I guess time will tell.

I have also tried to imagine removing the gutter trims and holders completely from the car. I wonder if any other GT owner has done this? It makes for even less clutter but I'm not brave enough...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 05:03 PM by tahoe36c.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
To all who commented on/complimented my work:

Many thanks! I will continue to work diligently to build the finest GT my little brain can imagine... More to come as I progress.

MGB567 Avatar
"I have also tried to imagine removing the gutter trims and holders completely from the car. I wonder if any other GT owner has done this? It makes for even less clutter but I'm not brave enough...?

Curtis Jacobsen

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Thanks Barrie...

But the pics are so small it is hard to tell how it actually looks. I am a "minute detail" guy so I'd need better photos to make a real decision. It would look much better with the rear window chrome instead of just black in my worthless opinion. Also needs a front grill of some sort. The car looks like the builder could not decide if it would be a street/show car or a track car... I know the feeling!!! I would be all over a V8 if not for the Derrington that was donated to me all those years ago. I could never trade it off... Not gonna happen! The statement that was written below one of the pics is also not very impressive...

"This paint job has never been "rubbed out" and in twenty years it has also never been waxed.
Water still beads-up on it! Good automotive clearcoat is amazingly durable, so I recommend
simply leaving it alone. Car waxes aren't durable, and applying them causes swirl marks."

The individual who wrote this statement obviously has no idea how much better a professional paint job glows after being "rubbed out" and waxed... And yes, you will get swirl marks if the wax is not applied properly. I would challenge this statement any day of the week.

Nice car though, please don't get me wrong! Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one... moon

MGB567 Avatar
I think Curtis was the only one to respond some time ago when I asked about removing trim - you can see where I'm headed by this topic.

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
A very clever bloke

MGB567 Avatar
"Welding and then shaping the top seam of the front wings was probably the biggest challenge of all the other bodywork combined.... What makes it so hard are the three curves that come together in this area. I spent a lot of time shaping and reshaping until I was finally satisfied. It is not like other areas where you can simply "block sand" to get the right shape. I did all this shaping by touch and sight... I attached a pic to try and highlight this for others."

FWIW I now have a greater understanding/appreciation of this aspect especially if you've manage to eliminate any "bump" where the flitch panel was originally. I may end up doing the same but first up having oxy'd the gap and ground any excess down and then filled with a minimum bog I'll see if I like the small relief that's there due to that complex arrangement of curves. When I frenched my indicators I left a small protrusion on the lower outer quarter of the circle to break up the "slab" so I may prefer that up top too. If I don't like the result it's not too late to try again.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster