Home From Paint... Finally!
  This topic is about my 1972 MG MGB GT
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
I am a bit late posting these... The car was painted on the 18th of last month. These pics look OK but it is much better now that it has been wet sanded, buffed and polished...

One pic in the booth prior. Then arrival at home.

Color is Rosso Corsa... Of course! Original color was Flame Red.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 06:49 AM by tahoe36c.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
P1010207.JPG    44.4 KB
P1010207.JPG

P1010530.JPG    52.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1010531.JPG    53.1 KB
P1010532.JPG    57.5 KB
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Now it's time to reassemble...

Attachments:
P1010533.JPG    57.5 KB
P1010533.JPG

P1010534.JPG    62.2 KB
warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Man,
That's gonna look spectacular!

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ronmg Avatar
ronmg ron foote
des moines, ia, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Baby/....mrs Jones"
Looks great

RRRRavishing RRRRonald
Team Parts Car
Sponsored by DFL Racer Supply

Old Salt Gold Member David Yager
Bushnell, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Paul,
I'm a roadster guy but that GT is going to look really sharp when you're done.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
So under all that interior leather there is no Rosso Corsa? So what's underneath your leather? Is it Rosso Corsa underneath the door seals? I'm asking because at present I'mholding off installing interior trim until the body is painted - still a ways off for that.

My interior where there are no cards/headliner etc is covered in Dynamat (not me). Elsewhere other than the underside of the roof I just rattle sprayed Rustoleum Gloss Grey. Because those areas are hidden I thought I'd save some $ as my paint costs a fortune.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Thanks all for the compliments! This build is HUGE to me considering my age (56) and how long I have owned the car (36 years). I am hoping (well I KNOW) this will be the last restoration so my level of attention to detail is on a level with most hand built supercars. Down to the last wire, nut and bolt...

A friend of mine came to the house about 3 weeks later and we spent 2 full days just doing the wet sand, buff and polish. The car looks "wet"... Like a red mirror. I used 3M products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 07:38 AM by tahoe36c.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Barry,

The car was initially disassembled and sandblasted to bare metal. Then two coats of epoxy primer were applied. The only addition to the interior is the application of rattle-can satin black in specific areas where it may show. No sense wasting paint in an area that will be covered by either carpet, interior panels or the dash...

The inside of the tire storage area (Boot?) was coated with U-Pol Raptor bedliner (like the bottom) and the area under the rear seat just sprayed with a "hammered" rattle can paint.

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3751285 by tahoe36c Thanks all for the compliments! This build is HUGE to me considering my age (56) and how long I have owned the car (36 years). I am hoping (well I KNOW) this will be the last restoration so my level of attention to detail is on a level with most hand built supercars. Down to the last wire, nut and bolt...

A friend of mine came to the house about 3 weeks later and we spent 2 full days just doing the wet sand, buff and polish. The car looks "wet"... Like a red mirror. I used 3M products.

Why on earth at the age of 56 would you think this to be your last restoration? I’m 74, just completing my ‘67 supercharged roadster which, I think, is my 11th full resto and I still see more down the line. Not bragging - just that the passion has not diminished.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

Jim63 Avatar
Jim63 Gold Member Jim S
Bartlesville, OK, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI "Iris"
Paul,
Looks amazing. Keep the pics coming through the rebuild.

Jim

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Peter,

Thanks so much for the reply! You brought a HUGE smile to my face... One of the biggest reasons is the C/GT that sits next to the B. I MUST do the same with this car except that it will be left mostly stock. All I want to modify on the engine is triple carbs and lightening the flywheel. The exhaust has already been done... Leather interior again, of course!

In reply to # 3751292 by malski
In reply to # 3751285 by tahoe36c Thanks all for the compliments! This build is HUGE to me considering my age (56) and how long I have owned the car (36 years). I am hoping (well I KNOW) this will be the last restoration so my level of attention to detail is on a level with most hand built supercars. Down to the last wire, nut and bolt...

Why on earth at the age of 56 would you think this to be your last restoration? I’m 74, just completing my ‘67 supercharged roadster which, I think, is my 11th full resto and I still see more down the line. Not bragging - just that the passion has not diminished.

tbarker7815 Avatar
tbarker7815 Tom .
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
nice color

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Fantastic job Paul ! Now the fun begins. Unique color. smileys with beer

"Be yourself, because everybody else is already taken". - Oscar Wilde.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" - Phineas Quimby.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
that rocks!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Paul,
Outstanding work! I’ll be looking for a good painter in the next year or so, could you share your guy?
Thanks, Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links