AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dmarth Avatar
dmarth Silver Member Dennis Marth
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper!!"
1993 Cadillac Allante
1998 BMW MC R1200C "Klaus"
I won’t bore you with the number of years this project has consumed, because today the MG comes home from the painter. Cause for much celebration.

I can finally reassemble the beast. Yay!

A few pictures of my baby follow. Should look nice with the red interior with white piping.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
741815DD-8BE3-4D34-A3CA-A69E6862A3C6.jpeg    48.3 KB
741815DD-8BE3-4D34-A3CA-A69E6862A3C6.jpeg

30352FFA-500A-48C1-B1D3-13E848CF0A9D.jpeg    34.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
4FA8A548-21DC-42B6-BD19-19DD26D2882A.jpeg    64.1 KB
C6EFC7A0-E833-4139-8317-035629F287BA.jpeg    46.1 KB
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Is that Grampian Grey? Looks lighter, but it could be the lighting. Have fun...will be a sweet car!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Nice color. The world does not need any more red MGB's......With red interior it'll be stunning. thumbs up

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
Tuscan1778 Avatar
Tuscan1778 Silver Member Dave G
Aberdeen, SD, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Look forward to seeing the finished car-great color combination.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3737894 by Rod H. Is that Grampian Grey? Looks lighter, but it could be the lighting. Have fun...will be a sweet car!

Looks to be Chelsea Gray or something close to it....which would be an original colour for a '63. Grampian was only offered on GTs...

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
won't even comment on painting without a respirator....wow.....

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Hmmm. Love the grey, but not a fan of red. Let's envision here. Tans and browns would not work. Black would be dead. Green would be hard to pull off, but if it was just right, maybe. Dark blue would be more stately. What is the wheel choice? Being able to get a matching top would be of concern. White piping may be too much if seats, cards and carpet were all red. Maybe two-tone the doors with a darker grey and red and drop in some traditional coca mats to tone down the carper? Too-bright red just looks cheap to me. A little darker and faded might be easier. Wonder around at the nationals and may get inspired!

PS: Yea, enough resell-red already.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3737958 by JoeReed
In reply to # 3737894 by Rod H. Is that Grampian Grey? Looks lighter, but it could be the lighting. Have fun...will be a sweet car!

Looks to be Chelsea Gray or something close to it....which would be an original colour for a '63. Grampian was only offered on GTs...

Aha. I have seen the paint chip for Chelsea, but don't recall seeing it on a car. Will be really nice!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
So you can paint a car outdoors ! What kind of paint did you use ?

dmarth Avatar
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
1993 Cadillac Allante
First off, that's not me without the respirator, that's the fellow doing the painting. I'm taking pics at a reasonably safe distance.

Second, thank you all for the nice comments.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, the Chelsea Grey with red interior w/white piping was a correct combo for '63. But I too share the concern on red overdose. But the red leather and cards are not a bright red, it's more subdued.

Anyway, I'm psyched to be on what appears to be the stretch run.

I went with a one stage urethane acrylic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 04:02 PM by dmarth.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
I challenge your title.

Bought mine in February 1997, mostly in bits as it had been disassembled for restoration. Has been back from the painters for seven years and steadily being put back together again. Almost finished, on track for an August tickover, and a September shakedown cruise. So aster 21 years and a bit, I will have a brand new, zero miles, 1967 MGB.

Love the colour, should have gone a shade of Grey myself, (instead of Tartan Red) wishing you an uninterrupted rebuild schedule.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

dmarth Avatar
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
1993 Cadillac Allante
In reply to # 3738040 by melbaver I challenge your title.

Bought mine in February 1997, mostly in bits as it had been disassembled for restoration. Has been back from the painters for seven years and steadily being put back together again. Almost finished, on track for an August tickover, and a September shakedown cruise. So aster 21 years and a bit, I will have a brand new, zero miles, 1967 MGB.

Love the colour, should have gone a shade of Grey myself, (instead of Tartan Red) wishing you an uninterrupted rebuild schedule.

Chris, sadly, after exhaustive research, I find that you have beaten me by a matter of months! The '67 roadster that started this misadventure was purchased from the backyard of a nice couple in Natick, MA in June of 1997. The original plan was to "fix up" the '67 and drive it as is. Then, after the amount of rot was fully revealed, I decided to strip the car of all valuables (drivetrain, interior, front and rearend, aluminum hood) I decided to look for a worthy roller. The rest, as they say, is history.

I'm now hoping for a late summer, early autumn start up.

Thanks.

Neallew Avatar
Neallew Gold Member Neal Lewis
swansea, wales, UK   GBR
Got a guy in our club rebuilt his factory V8 GT in damask red. I didnt even know he had it until it reappeared - i am new to the hobby. He was driving a nice MGTF to our club meets.. He stripped it down 26 years previously fully rustproofed it put the shell and engine back together and had it painted then it sat for 23 years... Various family issues and work later he finally decided it had to be finished... the paint was no longer good enough so it had a second paint job before being put back together as new ( or better ) 25 years from when he started.... Its stunning to be fair. so i take my hat off to all you guys who finally get em done and saved....

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Good enough Dennis......in MGB terms I'd call that a dead heat.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
You can get good results painting in the backyard....it is still about prep....but you do open yourself up to bugs in the paint. I have done it, and will hopefully again soon on my driver. Old trick if a gnat or 'skeeter lands in the paint.....come back and soak him good....it will wet sand down and nobody will know!

Glad it wasn't you, but still just foolish to spray anything without a $30 respirator. Heard too many bad stories about great uncles that died from bad lung ailments from their body shop back in the day. You only have one set of lungs!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster