Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kareski63 Gold Member Peter Kareski
Front Royal, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Freddie"
Does anyone out there know where to purchase a harmonic balancer for a 18V engine? I tried Moss, Victoria British, Bee Hive, Roadster Factory, E-bay, Amazon and a few other that MG experience advertises.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Peter, is yours missing or need fixing, @ DAMPERDUDES.COM I think they also make new ones ??smileys with beerThey have them. @ damperdudes.NET thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 07:44 PM by oleanderjoe.

Member Services:
1977 MG MGB "Freddie"
It could be fixed or replaced, I am not sure how to test it to see if it going bad. My timing mark is way off the mark but it runs like a champ (48 at 3500 rpm). I installed electronic ignition last year and at 32' at 3500 rpm it ran like a dog. Let me try the dudes, Thanks

1977 MG MGB "Freddie"
Joseph,
I just went on line as you suggested and all it did was send me to the same sits I re-searched. The only ones I found was painted used ones from e-bay the others do not carry.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Huh. Like Joe, I thought that they rebuilt them.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
SRN402 Avatar
SRN402 Steve Naert
DeWitt, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
It's been several years, but I had great service from the Damper Doctor (https://www.damperdoctor.com/) with rebuilding the balancer on my 18V

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi Peter,

Check my reply to your other thread, re vibration.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Here ya go. A really nice one.

https://mossmotors.com/harmonic-crank-balancer-5-1-8-diameter

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
PETER: Being it up to TDC, as viewed thru the Spark Plug hole, compare to the damper marks. I looked at www.damperdudes.NET and it shows reconditioned ones. ????confused smiley

Member Services:
mgblestyle Avatar
mgblestyle Philip Shave
Olympia, WA, USA   USA
Peter, Moss has a new pulley/damper for a good price: https://mossmotors.com/crank-pulley
While the listing says 62-74 it works fine on later 18V motors. Smaller diameter pulley than the original. The new online catalog hides it pretty well. Phil

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Your problem is that 32 degrees doesn't work well with the late model smog era camshaft and single roller timing chain set. Advance the timing and move on.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

tomcrause Tom Crause
Springfield, Illinois, USA   USA
Jeff, what would your suggested advanced timing starting point be for the later model cars?

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Generally speaking, there is no answer to that question. They've all been mucked with to a large extent, and that means you need to experiment until you find the sweet spot for your combination of parts. Its not unheard of for base timing to vary from 8 degrees at idle to 24 degrees at idle, without the vac hooked up. Late model Bs should NOT have manifold sourced vacuum. The vac line runs through the TCSA switch, OR Tee it into the carb port on a Zenith (direct into the carb port with Weber DGVs). Or if its the original 24 degree vac unit, the car will run better with it disconnected.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
All very true which is why I went to a programmable one devil smiley

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

1977 MG MGB "Freddie"
Jeff, it looks like I ending up what you are talking about except I took out the TCSA switch and run a straight tube from my weber to my distributer vacuum. When I was at a John Twist work session he told me to just bypass the switch.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster