AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
Has anyone here ever rented out their British car for an event, photoshoot, wedding, or to another person to drive? And what did you charge? I found this site on using British cars for rent.

https://www.bookaclassic.com/get-paid-to-drive-your-classic-car/

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 06:07 PM by danthefitman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hump2 Avatar
hump2 Barry Humphrey
land o lakes, FL, USA   USA
I would not as the person would not treat it as I would and I am sure that the insurance carrier would not cover it either. If someone wants to drive one then buy it.

Wrencher Avatar
Wrencher Hans Abplanalp
Davis, CA, USA   USA
Closest I came was taking my neihbor's '79 to Dixon last year with a 'for sale' sign in it!

Hans

The Larry Shinoda Collection: 1965 Corvair Monza 140, 1969 L-68 427 Corvette roadster (sold - big bucks!), 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang. new addition 1965 MGB roadster!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
No Way!

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
I used to live in a small Louisiana town. I carried a local beauty queen in one of their many parades in my TR-6 and another time in my TR-3. The 3 overheated and the 6's clutch started slipping . They left tape residue from The decorations. I would never do it with my B now.

balloonist Avatar
balloonist Platinum Member Michael Layman
Newberg, OR, USA   USA
Dan, I have my roadster and the GT registered here with a company that supplies extras and props to the movie industry. A few years ago I was contacted by them and they asked if I could bring the roadster to a location (Turned out to be Reed College here in Portland) They were making the movie, "Into The Wild. " Second question was would I let Sean Penn and another actor drive the car and could I show him of any special knowledge required, etc.

Unfortunately, I was at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta at the time and had to turn them down.

Mike

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
Insurance concerns would turn me off from the idea of renting my B. That and the risk of having the car stolen. There’s too many cons out there today. I’m not looking for a way to make the car earn money.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Rented to a movie studio , great coverage , car was more than taken care of

They paid the insurance rider
I know prople that rent out to tourists also had good experiences.
Anyone that worries about an MGB. Worries too much.
They might as well worry about a Hyundai or some cheap car eye rolling smiley

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
I also live in a fairly small town, and years ago I let one of my business partners use my b in the annual parade. The parade had been over for an hour and there was still no sight of my car. I went and found him, and that was the end of that. I have "car friends" that I have known for a long time that I would let drive my car with no concern because they "get it". There's no way I'd let some clueless jerk use it for a few bucks.

Ryan

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
I have extensive experience in this area, but to put it briefly I'll say this...

If you would be upset if something happened to your car - a dent, scratches, hole in the leather, stain on the carpet or perhaps something mechanical, then don't rent it out. It isn't a matter of if but when something will happen to it. On a commercial once I was 3 feet from the car with eagle eyes on it, and still had a $1,200 dent put in the fender. Another car has had at least $5K worth of repairs done in its limited career. You wouldn't believe the strange and unexpected things that can happen. Letting someone else drive it for money may be a violation of your insurance policy, so if you go this route then you will need to get a copy of their insurance certificate and verify it's legitimate (yes people hand out fake certs sometimes) by calling the insurance company who sent it. And even then, they will never treat it as you would so if this is a car you depend on to get to work, I'd advise against this path.

Worrying about damage to something you've put a significant amount of your time and money into is not a bad thing, despite what some may say. Some people don't care about their stuff and others take care of what they own as a personal treasure. It's your decision, not theirs, on how you treat you car and what level of risk you will accept.

mgtdsteve Steve Rinaldo
Mariwtta, Ga., USA   USA
Before you do that check with your insurance company. They will most likely say that if you take money your policy is void but if the money goes to a real charity you will be OK.

Rob-USLE Avatar
Rob-USLE Rob DE JOODE
Rotterdam, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
l lent out in 2003 orso my 2000 classic mini with just 3,000 original miles to the wedding of a daughter one of my old neighbours, the broom who drove was a police agent at the time.

Mentioned; no rice in the car, no writing with saving foam on the car (it was a white car so rather useless to write on it anyway this because a friend on mine had an earlier experience with shaving foam
on a black car and he was NOT a happy chappy when he say his car back.

Got my car back perfectly, washed, tanked up and a nice bottle of irish whiskey as a thank you present.

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Sure have. Got paid well to have the MGA sit on a cobblestone street while QVC magazine took pics of models in it. They were quite respectful of the car.

46er Avatar
46er Ralph K
Coastal, NJ, USA   USA
Hagerty has a tab on their site about renting. They call it DriveShare.

https://www.driveshare.com/

garyd Avatar
garyd Gold Member Gary Dabrowski
Naugatuck, western Connecticut, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Long Gone"
1974 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
Hmm . . . ......

Go to driveshare.com and enter MG. Interesting.

Member Services:
Maker of BHH558 carb and choke bracket for MGB cars fitted with the SU HIF4 carb & later car HIF4 upgrades and the highly regarded Air Filter Builder’s Kit, a compact and stylish alternative to Coopers Cans using economical paper filter elements.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster