AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim K Avatar
Jim K James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"
Bought the above, with the pointer, and stuck it to my harmonic balancer 2 years ago. I followed the directions. Went to adjust the timing last week, and the tape is lost.

So, anyone know how to make the tape stick? Or do I need to purchase another, and go through the TDC exercise every time?

Any other ideas?

I KNEW I should have burned-off a copy...

Jim K is a grease-stained wretch

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Get the "tape" from Jeff at Advanced Distributors.

Marc2 Avatar
Marc2 Silver Member Mark Hoefle
Richardson, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Green Machine"
Ditto on the tape from Jeff - put one from him on a year ago, and it is still there.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
In reply to # 3737214 by Jim K Bought the above, with the pointer, and stuck it to my harmonic balancer 2 years ago. I followed the directions. Went to adjust the timing last week, and the tape is lost.

So, anyone know how to make the tape stick? Or do I need to purchase another, and go through the TDC exercise every time?

Any other ideas?

I KNEW I should have burned-off a copy...
Clean the balancer with acetone, and apply 3M weatherstrip adhesive to both the tape and the balancer. Let dry for 5 minutes and apply. It'll never come off, even if you want it to.

Attachments:
Timing Tape & Pointer.jpg    28.8 KB
Timing Tape & Pointer.jpg

aussiejohn Avatar
aussiejohn John Potter
Victoria, Australia   AUS
With a TDC pointed added where I can see I painted the section of my pulley between TDC and 32 degrees and use this to set the timing.
On the net there is a number of sites which allow you to print a degree wheel at the diameter you require.
I used this as a painting guide / mask. and it works well for me.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Scuff up the balancer, clean with brake cleaner (cleans and softens) dry thoroughly, apply tape and press on with a soft dowel.

Or even better get a quality dialback timing light and you don't need tape at allthumbs up

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 05:20 PM by ohlord.

mbarjbar Avatar
mbarjbar Michael Barrera
Winchester, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1967 Pontiac GTO
1971 MG MGB "GIGI"
I have Jeff's tape on my balancer. I am not impressed. Black lines and numbers on white tape are hard to see clearly. I think white lines and numbers on a black tape would work better. Waste of money.

MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
No problem for me and I'm not concerned about being impressed. I just want it to work without needing to get down on the floor to see the timing mark. Money well spent.thumbs up JMO

Jim K Avatar
Jim K James A. Krasnansky
Liberty, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT "Chloe"
1971 MG MGB GT "Roscoe"
1972 MG MGB "Camilla"
Thanks for the replies. I know where to get another for $7.00 ... sad smiley
I DON'T think it's a waste of money, and I don't need another timing light.

Jim Wulf - I'll get another and try that. thumbs up

Jim K is a grease-stained wretch

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
As Jeff has noticed. "quality" dial back timing light seems to be an issue these days. I had an old Jacobs that was rock solid and accurate. I tried two of the newer ones and they were useless. Got a new static one and it blew up. I now run a very old "Sears" that is solid, but alas, not a dial back.

In reply to # 3737522 by ohlord Scuff up the balancer, clean with brake cleaner (cleans and softens) dry thoroughly, apply tape and press on with a soft dowel.

Or even better get a quality dialback timing light and you don't need tape at allthumbs up

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
I've never felt the need for a dial back timing light. If have an old Sun light that has always worked just fine. I added an extra 'line' at 20BTDC on the damper and have no problem direct reading up to 40BTDC.

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Normal work, I agree, but a dial back is very handy when mapping an unknown.

BTW, to print a timing tape, you need 18 inch long paper. That is why it is easier to just buy one from Jeff. If you are wondering, the generic ones like MSD only go down to 5 1/4 dia, not 5 1/8.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, MN, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
The process to print a legible timing tape does not allow you to print so much black over white. The color bleeds and its a hot mess. If you actually read and follow the directions provided with the timing tape, as repeated above by a couple of folks who have installed them, they will stick indefinitely. The first one I ever installed roughly 10 years ago is still in place. These things are made out of the same high quality 3M tape used in car wraps, for pinstripe tape, etc... with a high temp glue rated for engine bay temps, and with a clear laminate to make the printing as durable as possible. They are also printed the same way as every other timing tape on the market - MSD, etc... Black on white. I don't make these because they're making me rich or because I like people telling me my product is crap here on the good old interweb. Its a means to an end so we don't have to climb under the car to set the timing. If you can't get some of the strongest glue ever made to adhere, make a photocopy in advance so you can paint lines on your balancer.
1. Don't fingerprint the glue. It won't stick.
2. Don't attempt to adhere the tape to anything bu a freshly painted surface. It won't stick.
3. Don't apply the tape to anything but a pristine surface. Its a simple sticker. Stickers don't stick to oil, rust, dirt.
4. Don't paint over rust, dirt, oil, etc... as the paint AND the sticker will peel off.
Good surface prep results in a timing tape that will stay in place until the engine gets rebuilt.

For those who have PM'd me in regards to these, they are listed on my web store for sale.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links