AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hole in my '71 MGB Transmission Case
  This topic is about my 1971 MG MGB
UBSoccer Eric L
East Greenbush, NY, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
My transmission is almost cleaned up and ready to go, but I noticed this hack job on the underside of the bell housing that I assume a previous owner must have done (this isn't factory work, right?!?!?). The hole is about 1" x 1.25" and very rough. As the photos show, there is also a small circular hole nearby (that looks factory) with a split pin/cotter pin through it.

Any thoughts on the rectangular hole? I'm thinking of just fitting a gasket that will seal it up, but still be removable if needed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
hole 2.jpg    34.3 KB
hole 2.jpg

hole1.jpg    30.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
I don't believe I'd worry about it. Have no idea why some DPO would do this though. IF I just wanted to be anal about the hole I'd mix up some epoxy with powdered aluminum as filler and plug it up. Years ago I used to use a product called Devcon to patch aluminum cases. There are also low melting point aluminum welding(really brazing) rods that can be used here with just a propane torch. Think Harbor Freight sells them now

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
A - It seems that the PO needed to get in there for some reason (perhaps to retrieve something that was rattling around?);
B - To fix it, you could also drill a complete hole and insert a rubber plug (to make it look nice);
C - I would definitely plug it to keep H2O & dirt out.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
"stupid is as stupid does"

I guess soon we will have seen it all! I would plug just to keep crud out....just keep it fairly flush on the inside, not much clearance to the flywheel.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
The hole with the pin is a weep hole from the factory. As said before, the beaver chewed hole was probably to fetch a loose bolt or something.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Access for pressure plate bolts perhaps? I’ve seen similar holes for that purpose

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Someone cut the hole to insert a camera to check for whatever>>

UBSoccer Eric L
East Greenbush, NY, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Thanks for the input and ideas! It's too ugly to leave....I'll be patching it. And I don't like how close it is to the edge of the housing.....

dales72mgbgt Avatar
dales72mgbgt Gold Member Dale Hobson
port ewen, USA   USA
Eric, If you want a entire good non overdrive transmission out of my 72, I will donate it. You have to pick it up in Port Ewen,about an hour away. Dale

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ERIC: I think that was an attempt to PEEK in at the "Throw Out Bearing". I have dropped the slave cylinder many times to take a peek in there. If a clutch is acting up, peeking at the bearing can tell you if there is still a "Carbon Puck" in there or not. Since it is out of the car, I would (Like Suggested), clean it up, make it round, and install a rubber plug. "YOU" may want to peek in there some day. Triumph Spitfire has (1) One Inch rubber floor plugs. (Moss) TR-6 has multiple rubber plugs throughout the body, also (Mosssmileys with beer)

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 MG MGB MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links