AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hole in my '71 MGB Transmission Case
  This topic is about my 1971 MG MGB
UBSoccer Eric L
East Greenbush, NY, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
My transmission is almost cleaned up and ready to go, but I noticed this hack job on the underside of the bell housing that I assume a previous owner must have done (this isn't factory work, right?!?!?). The hole is about 1" x 1.25" and very rough. As the photos show, there is also a small circular hole nearby (that looks factory) with a split pin/cotter pin through it.

Any thoughts on the rectangular hole? I'm thinking of just fitting a gasket that will seal it up, but still be removable if needed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
hole 2.jpg    34.3 KB
hole 2.jpg

hole1.jpg    30.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
I don't believe I'd worry about it. Have no idea why some DPO would do this though. IF I just wanted to be anal about the hole I'd mix up some epoxy with powdered aluminum as filler and plug it up. Years ago I used to use a product called Devcon to patch aluminum cases. There are also low melting point aluminum welding(really brazing) rods that can be used here with just a propane torch. Think Harbor Freight sells them now

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
A - It seems that the PO needed to get in there for some reason (perhaps to retrieve something that was rattling around?);
B - To fix it, you could also drill a complete hole and insert a rubber plug (to make it look nice);
C - I would definitely plug it to keep H2O & dirt out.

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
"stupid is as stupid does"

I guess soon we will have seen it all! I would plug just to keep crud out....just keep it fairly flush on the inside, not much clearance to the flywheel.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
The hole with the pin is a weep hole from the factory. As said before, the beaver chewed hole was probably to fetch a loose bolt or something.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Access for pressure plate bolts perhaps? I’ve seen similar holes for that purpose

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Someone cut the hole to insert a camera to check for whatever>>

UBSoccer Eric L
East Greenbush, NY, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Thanks for the input and ideas! It's too ugly to leave....I'll be patching it. And I don't like how close it is to the edge of the housing.....

dales72mgbgt Avatar
dales72mgbgt Gold Member Dale Hobson
port ewen, USA   USA
Eric, If you want a entire good non overdrive transmission out of my 72, I will donate it. You have to pick it up in Port Ewen,about an hour away. Dale

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
ERIC: I think that was an attempt to PEEK in at the "Throw Out Bearing". I have dropped the slave cylinder many times to take a peek in there. If a clutch is acting up, peeking at the bearing can tell you if there is still a "Carbon Puck" in there or not. Since it is out of the car, I would (Like Suggested), clean it up, make it round, and install a rubber plug. "YOU" may want to peek in there some day. Triumph Spitfire has (1) One Inch rubber floor plugs. (Moss) TR-6 has multiple rubber plugs throughout the body, also (Mosssmileys with beer)

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster